2 yr old has fever but no other symptoms....confused

In my son's 2 1/2 years he has NEVER had a fever or been sick (i have been really lucky) Since monday night he has had a fevers on and off every few hours. Last night he reached 104.6! When I called my doc at 3am they told me not to bring him to emergency unless he hit 105. He has no other symptoms....no runny nose, cough, sore throat ext....just the fever. To make matters worse, I am at my parents house 1500 miles away and won't be returning home until july 4th. So I had to bring my son to some random pediatrician and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. They best they told me was to wait it out and give him childrens motrin. Does this sound right? His little body is clearly fighting something, should I bring him to another doc tomorrow??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did he get a strep test? I would go back and ask them to do one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• you are probably right, you child is probably fighting something, but if they are not acting out of the ordinary, or are lethargic. I would give the motrin and just monitor it. I know it is scary, but it is the body's way of fighting things off. I do not usually panic if my kids have a fever. I treat the fever. I do not medicate unless it starts to go over 102 or they are uncomfortable and I would not call unless it went to 105. BUT if they had other symptoms, such as a rash or they are very lethargic, or if the motrin fails to bring the fever down, I'd call right away.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son spikes a high fever whenever he is cutting teeth. You think he might be cutting his 2 year molars?
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Is your son potty trained? Or even not has he had a bm lately? My son, when we started potty training, would hold his bms in for quite a few days and the back up would cause him to get a fever. As soon as he would poop it would be gone. It took us awhile to figure it out.
    Anonymous

• 2 year molars? My son at 10 month had a fever of 107 and i was freaking out rushed him to the er and they said it was nothing and no big deal. He went back in 2 or 3 days later and had the start of an ear infection. As for that high of a fever i could not believe they werent worried it just floored me! and for there to be nothing wrong except starting to get a ear infection. Good luck and hang in there!
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010