my toddler does not like people or children she does not know. she gets scared for no reason and doesnt like it when people outside of family talk to her..is this normal she's been like this since she's one. She is now 26 mo.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes its normal both my kids did and stii do tht one is 4yrs the other is 16months
    Anonymous

• The world is a bigger place to her now. She's noticing things at a different level, she's comprehending a lot more then she did before, and it can be very intimidating. It's normal for children to suddenly feel timid and shy when they're approached by people they don't know. They are comfortable with family and close family friends and that's why they don't shy away from them. However, when a stranger approaches they don't know how they will react, how they'll treat her, etc. Therefore, it can be very scary to have someone you can't predict come up to you.

It's common. Just ease her into new relationships with people. Start out with kids her own age. Encourage her, but don't push her into being more friendly and less shy with people. She'll come around eventually.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My daughter is the total opposite. She'll smile and wave at anyone and everyone.
    Anonymous

• yes my goddaughter didn;t talk to anyone in my house except me. she was extremely shy. didn't thinks she would ever not be shy. she is 17now and she grew out of it a long time ago. kids grow out of those things.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is the same way, he is 2. Personally, I'd rather he be that way then talk to everyone. It's a good habit in my opinion, to be cautious around strangers.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010