If you are not married but you have been with someone for years and have children together, do you consider him your husband?

What do you say to people when they ask or it comes up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• we've been together 6 years and have 1 and 1 on the way. i just call him my husband. we qualify for common law but it's just not that big of deal to us. and it's easier than explaining the situation.
    Anonymous

• I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years. I don't consider him my husband.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i call him my man and we have been together for 10years
    Anonymous

• Hmm well, Casey and I have been together for 8 1/2 yrs and have 4 kids together but we are not married! I feel like we are, and if someone refers to him as my husband I dont correct them LoL We might get married for our 10 yr anniversary :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• we have been together for 4 yrs and i call him my man, but if he isnt my husband in the next years or so i will be calling him my ex!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Just living together and having children does NOT make a common law marriage and most states don't even recognize it. If you CONSIDER yourself married then go get married. If you are in a common law state and not married (with the paper) you still have to pay for a divorce if you break up!
    Anonymous

• Alot of people figure if they live together it is good enough but you know what? when you break up there is nothing you can do if he up and leaves with 100% of everything...marriage is a legal binding contract and spiritual contract...it means if the relationship goes south then you both have rights to everything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• ... and this is why I have to say my legal husband to people. Legally, I'm married. Legally, he is my husband and I his wife. I don't pretend because that's for kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• if you want to be called husband and wife then go get married. you people claim marriage is only a piece of paper but then you turn around and want the title that only comes with the marriage? if marriage is no big deal to you, calling him your boyfriend or so shouldnt be a big deal either.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010