How to get my 10 week old to adapt to a bottle

I'm a new mom and nurse my son exclusively. I'm stay at home for now but need to return to work soon. I've been trying to get my son to adapt to a bottle and he's not going for it. I've even let my husband try and once again no luck. I know I'm a little behind and should've pushed the bottle sooner but it's easier just to nurse him w/o fussing over a bottle. I've tried several different bottles that have different nipple sizes and flows and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

lc315

Asked by lc315 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You've done nothing wrong! Many bf babies will refuse bottles if mother is anywhere in proximity--they know the difference. You have to just leave. A baby can also take milk from a cup eyedropper or spoon.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i used the doc brown bottles the nipples are strong so they have to suck hard just like the breast! you can buy just the nipples! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Some babies take the bottle easily, some don't. It has nothing to do with your timing. Try offering the bottle when baby is not hungry and a bit sleepy. Try taking baby off the breast near the end of the feeding and offering the bottle. Some breastfed babies like to be held turned in close as if they were breastfeeding, while others will only take it if they are facing away from the caregiver. Think about baby steps. If baby will take the nipple into his mouth and not scream, that is a step in the right direction. Just keep gently offering it until he finally latches on and sucks.
    If all else fails baby can be spoon or cup fed breastmilk, or you may find a way to go to baby or have baby brought to you during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Have you tried THIS bottle? http://naturesonedirect.com/adnanuulbabo2.html ? I think it looks cool... anyway...yes...have someone else feed the baby a bottle. Give it when he's not insanely hungry and if he starts screaming...try it again a little later. Bend the nipple slightly so that a little milk goes into baby's mouth so he gets the idea that it's also food. If all else fails start with a dropper given by dad or someone else...you stay AWAY...and then gradually introduce the bottle again. Don't keep trying to force it too long if he's screaming though...just calm him down and try again with a tiny bit of milk between feedings.
    Anonymous