What is intolerance?

This is a spinoff from another post. I see the word "intolerance" thrown around a lot, and a lot of people seem to think that if you simply don't agree with what someone is doing, you are intolerant.

I'll give an example. I have friends who smoke indoors when they still have kids living at home. I think it is a bad choice and I don't agree with it, but I don't say anything and I am still friends with them. Does that make me intolerant?

I think most people would say no, but I've seen people on CM called intolerant or "haters" if they say they don't believe homosexual relations are moral. What if someone feels that way but still has gay friends and treats them well? Are people only intolerant when it comes to sexual issues or when religion is involved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Intolerance is just a way for people who dont like that People like me have strong religious, and moral values, to call us wrong, or be intolerant of us! Just because I donnot believe in being gay, or because I think that having a dirty or unorganized home is bad, or that I love God and think abortion is sickening, doesnt mean I am intolerant! It means I dont agree and if you ask me I will tell you that, but I will hold my tongue if not asked, and will not treat that person any differently! SO intolerance is an excuse for people who dont like others answers!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'm gonna go out aon a limb and say it's anyone who doesn't agree with SB.... :)
    Anonymous

• If I dont' agree with my friend for smoking, but I deal with it anyway. I am tolerant.
    If I don't agree with her smoking, but I call her names, and refuse to have anything to do with her, I am intolerant.
    If you state your opinion respectfully, without calling somone a name and without stating that you would hurt someone who did that and someone calls you names (such as ignorant, or any profanities) they are intolerant.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Intolerance is the unwillingness to accept that people can and do have different opinions, choices and lifestyles and still be equal to you. Holding hate against anyone simply because of their race, sex, religion, sexuality or lifestyle is intolerance at it's best (or worst I guess). You don't have to agree with someones life, but accepting that they are your equal regardless is the very basis of tolerance. Really, it's that simple.
    For example, you may not agree with being homosexual, you may, for what ever reason, feel it's wrong or whatever, but to dislike someone simply because of their sexuality when it has no impact on your life is being hateful and intolerant.
    You don't have to like everyone - no one does. But race, sex, sexuality, religion, lifestyle or other things shouldn't be a basis for hate or dislike when they don't affect you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Sabrina: You have defined the issue well, so why do so many liberals accuse conservatives of being intolerant at every turn? I find it ironic so many liberals are practicing the exact behavior they are admonishing conservatives so harshly and often rudely for. Maybe you can go on an "educate a liberal" tour.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• HaHa... That is one thing that has always drove me nuts... I am very intolerant of intolerance, but I also understand that people don't have to like everything someone or I do. I have people I don't like in life - we all do. But I feel to base dislike on something that hurts NO ONE, makes no sense! I hate you because you're black... I'm gonna hate you because your a woman... I'm gonna hate you because you're gay... christian... tattooed... whatever... It just doesn't make any sense! And hurts others and yourself! If someone does something to you or to your family... I can understand not liking someone... But we have seen over and over again through history what intolerance and hate do - although I'm more that positive there are people who think the Nazi's were right, it's not the majority, which I guess is a small victory for the fight for tolerance!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well Said Sabrina
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6742

This is something my mom sent me it is called When Tolerance is Intolerant. I am sure some will disagree with it but that is OK we don't have to agree.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• good article, momtolucas. I really like it!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Great article, momtolucas. I think I'm saving this link. I have a feeling I'll be using it later.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2010