my 2 yr old cries all the time?

I have a 2 yr old that cries all the time I try to cover all his needs and comfort him when he needs it most..But him just crying all the time is getting me to my last point..he is being potty train, could this affect anythiing? What can I do to help him control the tears? Or is there something more than just tantrum??? HELP ME PLZ

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 10:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son (2 1/2) acts like this sometimes. I make him go in his room. sometimes I have to put him in over and over, but I tell him to stay in there until he settles down and relaxes. It usually works- sometimes it takes awhile though.
    We also told him that "crying doesn't work". now when he starts to cry we ask "what do you know about crying??" he responds "crying don't work" For whatever reason, that has worked for us. Letting him know that we don't tolerate and adjust our actions to his whiny and crying moods is the most important thing that we try to convey to him.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, I don't know if this will help, but my daughter is doing the same thing!!! Here's my thoughts: she's 26 months old and not very good at talking yet. She's really frustrated because she can't explain what she wants. My husband starting telling her that's he's not going to listen to her if she cries, she has to use her words. If she keeps on and it becomes a tantrum, she has to sit in her chair in a corner for 2 minutes. This has really helped. I really think they are transitioning from babyhood to kidhood, you know? It's hard for them! But it's worse on us! The crying can raise your blood pressure so badly! For yourself, go out for a little while, like 2 hours and get a cup of coffee or something. It won't last forever :)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Sometimes kids need a physical picture of how a word works. Like "settle down" is a hard phrase for a kid to picture. Have him fold his hands together (like with the fingers laced from one hand into the other) and tell him to look at his hands and fold them the right way to help him get some self-control. For some reason that picture of having their hands solidly locked together and the couple seconds of attention it takes to focus on doing the action really helps kids see what settling down and getting self-control means. And you can use it anywhere - home, the store, church, everywhere.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 10:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• There could be more to it.
    Is there a change in his lifestyle (aside from potty training) that he is uncomfortable with? Did someone he cared for leave, is there someone hurting him, is he scared of something in the house like a pet or just an imaginary something? Encourage him to talk to you, encourage him to tell you what is wrong.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• THANK YOU GIRLS I WILL TRY EACH ONE AT A DIFFRENT TIME. BELIVE ME YOU WERE A LOT OF HELP THANK YOU
    vania_jmz

Comment by vania_jmz (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010