What is scalp monitor in labor?

Ok, what exactly is a scalp monitor, do you know? If you've had a baby, did your baby have one while you were in labor? What does it do, how does it work? I know about the monitor they strap on your belly to measure contractions. But what about the scalp one. Don't that have to go in your vagina??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes. And they have to rupture your membranes to insert it. It's actually a major risk factor for infection, so avoid it as much as possible.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yep, but trust me, you don't even notice. It is actually inserted in the baby's scalp near/on the soft spot. It may seem a little scary, but don't worry. It's pretty safe, and they take it off as soon as baby makes his/her appearance. I had one, it wasn't that big of a deal. He had the tiniest of scabs for a day or two. As for any concerns you may have of it hurting, the baby is very occupied with the "being born" aspect of the whole thing, and it is pretty traumatic, so the baby doesn't really notice it either.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• ya it attaches to the baby's head to monitor heart rate. it leaves a spot that will scab over.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• to help keep track of babys heart beat. it is a tiny hook like that they put on their scalp
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It is like a thin wire that goes into the skin of baby's head and measures the heart that way. Most of the time, the baby's head is trying to start crowning when it is inserted.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Also, I think we had one, but, who knows. And, my baby had so much hair, I wouldn't have noticed a spot on him. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• O_o i didn't know about that!! i didn't see that when i gave birth to my son O_o
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 10:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i had one at the beginnig of my labor im sure it was taken out later..i didnt even feel it.(and i didnt have anestesia when it went in). My baby did have a spot on her head where it was afterwards though...no biggie
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my dd had one and she had a little scab on her scalp afterwards.. no big deal helped a lot when i was in labor
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i did not have one and i would not have one unless there was a serious health concern which would be in a small minority of cases. i also would not want the EFM (monitors on the belly you are talking about) other than here and there--NOT all the time.
    Anonymous