How much should a 26 month old be talking?

My daughter turned 2 in Feb and babbles all the time, sings songs, knows the tune to her ABCs, but has a horrible time enunciating her words. She tries really hard! She knows what everything is and can point anything out, but I'm basically the only that can understand her. Is this ok? I'll ask my pediatrician next time we're there, just wanted some opinions. This morning she said her first full sentence, "Mommy, I want a dink!" (drink)

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 10:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Aww how cute! :) All kids are different! Im sure she is okay! GL
    Anonymous

• My son is 4 and still have a hard time with pronouncing words. Your DD seems to be on the right track.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yep, they all do things at different times, sounds like she's fine. My oldest spoke in sentences at 2, and my middle son hardly spoke until he was 4......I must have had him in the pediatricians office a dozen times. Once he started talking he didn't shut up, and in high school was on the speech and debate team. Did I mention that he walked at not quite 8 months old, and my oldest didn't walk until he was 14 months old........

It's good to check things out, but don't stress over them, I'm sure she'll be fine.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• try getting her hearing tested.... does she have/had chronic ear infections???
    Anonymous

• I think you answered your own question. She spoke a whole sentence at 26 months. Sounds good to me. My first Didn't speak a whole sentence until she was three. We all thought there was something wrong with her. Were we ever wrong! Once she started we couldn't shut her up. She was the smartest kid in school & I'm proud to say she graduated Suma Cum Laude From Ct. State College! And I thought she was dumb.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• shed be 28 months wouldnt she?

She sounds fine to me!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thanks! I thought she was fine too but my mom tends to make me question... :)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 7:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You need to take you child to the pediatrician for a thorough check-up. My son was only able to say 2 words when he was 18 months, which is no normal according to our pediatrician. She immediately recommended "early intervention". It was a free program where speech therapists come to your home once a week and work with your child until the age of 3. At three they are cut off. However, because we started before 2 years old (it takes a couple of months for the paper work), my son has made great progress. He can talk well, almost crystal clear. We continue to work with him at home even though professionals don't come anymore since he turned three.
    Good luck to you and your child.
    atcomom

Answer by atcomom at 8:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2010