I think my 14 month old is ready for potty training. Whats the best way to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• personally I think that is way to young. I see so many moms trying to get their kids on the potty to fast to get them out of diapers. If he wants to try it out, then of course let him. But dont try and make him be fully potty trained right now. Let it just be some what of a fun thing. He is way to young.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I had the most success with letting my kids run around naked for 3 days and setting a timer for every 20mins. If i caught the m trying to go before the timer I would run them to the potty and let them finish there. Now yes I did do a lot of spot cleaning of the carpet but part way through day 2 we were having success telling mommy we had to go potty. I had tried pull ups but found them confusing it worked better to really work hard on it for a few days and get it done
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, obviously at 14 months you're easing into it. My second daughter was like that, too. I think I got out the potty around then and started talking about it a lot, talking about what she did in her diaper, talking about what we did in the potty, etc. So she'd have the vocab. By 15 months for sure she was telling me when she had peed and before she pooped (sometimes before she peed). She would only sit on the little potty for a second or two, so we tried the ring on the big toilet. She liked it, so we'd sit her there after meals, after waking up, before bath, bed, and nap... If she wanted down, fine. We started getting a lot of "hits" pretty quickly, and reinforced it with praise, applause hugs. By 16 months she was only pooping in the potty (she was pretty regular so it wasn't hard to get her there). By 17.5 months we had her in undies full-time, with accidents of course. But it didn't take too long after ...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• ... for her to start doing it independently. We would have gone straight to underwear if she hadn't been so young, but 15 months seemed a little too young to try that. But most of the progress is made once diapers and pull-ups are no longer available. Just remember that. You can spend some time getting them used to it with diapers still around, but they may not fully get it or realize the potty's required and not just a game, until some accidents are involved. Good luck, and remember, it's a process!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2010