when should a baby start talking?

i have a 13 month old and my husband brought up a good point. isn't she suppose to be saying something by now? i checked my son's baby book and he started saying stuff like mama, dada, baba when he was 9 months old. i just wanted to know if it'll be okay, what i can do to help her develop her speaking skills, stuff like that. THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE IN ADVANCE!

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every kid talks at different times!!! you never know, she may actually know a lot of words she just may not be saying them. Dont worry too much. just keep talking as much as possible to her. every time she points at something or picks something up make sure you are saying exactly what it is. She will start talking soon enough! I honestly wouldnt be too worried.
    The only thing you should watch is her hearing. make sure that she responds to loud noises and too her name and things like that. sometimes kids with hearing problems can have delayed speech, but honestly as long as she is responding to noises and things I definitely wouldnt worry at all!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• do you know how soon they should know their own names? because she doesn't seem to always respond to her name unless i say it several times
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• honestly I cant totally remember, but that may not be a sign of a hearing problem. I know around that age kids are beginning to assert independence and honestly she just may not be paying attention.I know my daughter did that to me ALL the time!! She would just ignore me and keep playing and it always freaked me out. Try making loud noises when she is playing, and when she is just sitting with you focused on nothing and see how she reacts. If you have any concerns the pediatrician is of course the best person to talk to.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my MIL says you spend two years getting them to talk and the next 16 getting them to shut up. .
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take your child to the pediatrician for a good thorough check-up. My son only had 2 words at the age of 18 months. My pediatrician immediately referred him to "early intervention". It's a free program for little kids up to the age of 3, where a speech therapist comes to your home once a week to work with the child. My son is now 3 and is doing great. The therapy stopped when he turned 3 but he is now talking like a normal child. I'm glad we got help when we did.

Good luck to you and your family.
    atcomom

Answer by atcomom at 8:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• By the way, in our case it wasn't a hearing problem. He has great hearing. Apparently, it was a lazy muscle or tendon or something in the jaw or mouth. He just needed structured work to get him to start talking. When he turned 3 and was cut off from the early intervention program, he talked enough that the therapists said he should be the "poster child" for early intervention because he came from 2 words at age 18 to speaking clearly and well by 3.
    atcomom

Answer by atcomom at 8:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would suggest looking in to early intervention. She should be saying at least a few words by her age, even if they're not perfectly clear or even real english. It's a free program, look for details through your doctor or the school district. Your local library probably has contacts too, I know our kids librarian organizes a free screening for babies and toddlers each year.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• "do you know how soon they should know their own names? because she doesn't seem to always respond to her name unless i say it several times "

She's just ignoring you ;o) My son did the same thing.

Neither of my children were early talkers and neither were saying much beyond momma, daddy, and no at 13 months. "Most" children can "skillfully" use two words at this age (like "hi" and "bye").

If you have recently taken her to the doctor then this was likely evaluated; if not you could take her and make sure she does not have any physical problems.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and going though early childhood intervention and it has help him out a lot. He will have his review in August and right before he turns 3 will have the school district come out to see about preschool. If my son needs anymore help with his speech after he turns 3 he will be turn over to the school district because early childhood intervention thought the health department goes up to 3.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010