What type of attitude does your twelve year old have? Let me know all about him...I am so sick of my kids attitude and mouth. I know I am not alone, but I just want to see what others are experiencing with their pre teen boy.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My 13 yr old boy is not rude in a malicious way... but very self involved. He is selfcentered in a "think of my self first" way. He doesn't bad mouth us or do things intentionally bad.... he simply doesn't think past his own nose until reminded to do so.  It is "all about him".

About a month ago I started answering EVERY question/request with a "yes honey because you know IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU".  Even the silly little things like pass the salt.  I did this for a solid week before he stopped me and said "I get it mom".  But sometimes I still have to remind him.

Anonymous

• <p>I think during puberty their brains simply leave their bodies.  They become very very self centered and it is our jobs to shove that brain back in there and turn it on.  Some times it helps to have dad play the alpha dog and simply put him in his place BIG TIME.  Some times it takes a man to raise a man.  But when it is just the two of us (while dad is at work and Im doing the lions share) I find it easier to take a sarcastic or sillier approach to point out the idiocracy of his behavior.</p>

Anonymous

• Girl welcome to the club. My son is 15 and he has this really smart mouth. He is a home body, thank God for that, but he is always giving me lip when I ask him to do things like taking out the garbage, cleaning up after our poodle, and cleaning his room. So today was the end of it, I snapped. I went into his room, unplugged his Ipod touch, his internet, and everything else that is distracting him, and threw it all into a box, and I told him he would get it back when he start showing me the respect he shows to his friends. Now he's talking to me the way he should, but I know why, because I have all his treasures, but I'm holding on to them a little while longer. It will not get better honey trust me, it is just beginning.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• lol ambr2006....I turned off the power switch in my son's room the other day I was so pissed with his mouth. He always has a answer for everything! I am so fed up with him. I have a fifteen year old two, let me not even get started with that one!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• IM TIRED OF SAYING "BECAUSE I SAID SO, THATS WHY!!!!!" AHHH!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My grandson will be 12 next week. He is a very well-mannered boy with a wonderful sense of humor. He is a Boy Scout and is away this week at camp, and I miss him terribly. He is very respectful and literally has not given a minute's trouble. I attribute this to the way he has been brought up. He has just this summer begun mowing his parents' yard, and he comes over to our house to help his Granddaddy pick up limbs and the like. He is given some things that he wants, and others he is made to save up his own money to buy. He will offer to help me with chores so that he might earn extra money. Discipline is the key, I think. He was taught very early to respect his parents, and that has been transferred to others.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• well I guess you are blessed because I know that my kid is disciplined and I am sure half of these other mothers do the same thing. Like I said your blessed
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son is almost 14, and I love him to death but he's a know it all, he thinks he has the answers to everything and will challenge an answer to a question if he "thinks" he's right. Besides that he's a pretty good kid. My daughter is 13, she is challenging with the rules, she knows the rules but she will try to break them hoping she wont get caught, she's for the most part a good girl too but she has her moments. It's just that stage, I remember being there and pulling all the crap they try to pull on us. With our kids, like your it's always "because we said so", "because we pay the bills", "because we are the adults". I lost count of how many times we have told our kids that.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I have two boys 15 & 12. I wish someone had warned me that boys are just as bad as girls when it comes to mood swings. The boys are good kids, intelligent, respectful...hell other parents get breakfast in bed when my boys stay over. However they are going through that thing where they think they are right about everything, somedays they will try to argue about something as simple as please clean up your mess in the kitchen. And the mouth on moody days omg don't get me started...you'd think the kids had PMS or something.
    I never used the "Because I said so" line, I didn't believe in it, I hated when my parents did it - so I now I'm faced with the WHY? What does it matter? Why can't it wait? Now I say "Because I said so" or more saracastically "because I let you live here" ;)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I dont have a boy I have 2 girls but 1 girl was somewhat like that she grew out of it ,I thought she did not love me but she did but did not know how to show it . she is so loving and she ask me for advice about school ex...Give him time.You both need it.
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010