touching and hugging

I would like to volunteer to sit and hold hands with or hug the patients in the nursing home near us. I keep coming back to a thought... how sad it must be to be in a nursing home only touched for a medical purpose.

Is this odd?
How would I go about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think most nursing homes are always looking for volunteers. However, I am not so sure about the hugging part. There are a lot of things you can carry out of the nursing home, as far as bugs and stuff, as well as you could be bringing something in. Some nursing homes have problems with staph, etc....
    Anonymous

• I think you should make an appointment to speak with the HR or Director of the nursing home you wish to visit to ask about becoming a visitor among the lonely residents.
    If allowed to do so, I bet they have some residents in mind who have no families and have no one to sit with them.
    It was always so hard to be a CNA in a nursing home because you have to do all your work in a timely manner while gently caring for the residents. You want so badly to stay with the residents who wish to talk about themselves or ask about you, but nursing homes are so short-staffed that it is impossible.
    A person such as you would be a blessing!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010