BF Moms

How long did you BF for?

How did your wean you LO?

What was most difficult and what did you find to be helpful?

My LO is only 7months, I plan on BFing a whole year, maybe a bit longer, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do ahead of time to ease into it. I know it's a bit soon to think of but I just started thinking of how dependent he is on BFing before bed and when he wakes up especially.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dd's 13 mo & still nursing strong. Haven't really decided when I'm going to wean her, honestly it'll probably be when I get tired of being kicked & climbed & bitten. Its easiest to cut out the feeding they're not attached to, the ones during the day & then gradually cut out either the am or pm one, I'd go for the next one they're least attached to. The am can be easier to get rid of cuz dd's eating solids so I can plop her in her highchair & give her table food, the older they get & are eating solids, the easier it is to distract em.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 4:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I let the kids self-wean. My first self-weaned at 17 mos (probably because I got pg again)... my second self-weaned at 22 mos (again, probably because I got pg again) and my third self-weaned somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years- it was so gradual that it was difficult to tell when it happened. I know a lot of people are not comfortable with toddler nursing, but I was fine with it and it was such a natural transition to have them eventually just not ever look for it anymore.
    Anonymous

• I nursed for 13 months. The last 2 months or so, it was only a couple of times/day. By the 13th month it was only at bedtime. One night I realized it felt different - I think I had stopped producing (I was ever a strong producer to begin with). When I had the realization that my daughter was no longer nursing, just sucking on my nipple, it kind of creeped me out. That was the last night I breastfed her. I would have gone longer, had my body allowed me to. She really didn't much notice the change, honestly.
    MeriBH

Answer by MeriBH at 12:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010