Does anyone have any ideas how to help me help my 4 year old daughter lose a few pounds??

My daughter is a few pounds overweight and her BMI is a little higher than it should be. She has lost 3lbs. since March. She's tall for her age and she is active.She does eat healthy food, veggies, fruit and grains. Some people say it's just baby fat, she will shed it in time? Does a 4 year old need to lose weight, is it even safe for them to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Any weight, food, health concerns should always be discussed with her pediatrician first; if you have questions and or doubts then ask away on here. I say this because of the way you worded your question. I think solely by what you stated she is fine and will be fine; but you should really address the your concerns with her pediatrician! GL and God bless
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would worry unless you pediatrician says you should. It more than likely is just baby fat and within this next year she should grow taller and thinner...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She's FOUR. She needs her baby fat. Talk to your doctor about this. DO NOT put a little kid on a diet. They burn up so many calories playing that it will be fine. Who on earth checks the BMI of a four year old? This society has gotten obsessed with weight issues. Please talk to the dr. You could be damaging your child by restricting food at her age
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• how much does she weigh and how tall is she?
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She is 43 inches tall and weighs 49lbs. and the doctors measure kids BMI starting at 2 years old. The doctor said her BMI is a little higher than it should be and that she's a little chubby but she's healthy and active but other people have been saying that she should lose weight?!?! Thanks for showing such caring on this question!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• our ped said you can't put little ones on diets. you can only control how much/what intake and activity they have. if your ped's not worried, and she's still in a healthy range, then tell everyone else to go suck a toad. not every little child is naturally skinny, weighing 30lbs in kindergarten!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 2.5 and ways 42 pounds I would never consider a"diet" of any sort for him. I know my son is healthy.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 4:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• If she is being fed a proper diet & getting good exercise I wouldnt worry about a few lbs.... Now if she is a "chunky monkey" & could lose 10+lbs, then I would be visiting her dr. to make sure everything is OK with her & there isnt another reason for her weight problems... (In school I had a teacher that had a problem with not being able to lose weight, I think with his thyroid. He would ride his bike to school daily & workout & eat super healthy but was Obese!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She is definitely chunky, my son is the same height and 17lbs less, but that doesn't mean she needs to lose weight. At that age it's all about gaining height. Feed her a healthy diet and make sure she has plenty of opportunities for physical activity. If she tends to eat junk then don't keep it in the house. She can of course have occasional treats, just buy individual portions as special treats rather than keeping it around as a daily thing. Figure out what she wants to do for exercise. Would she like something like gymnastics or a sports class? Does she like going out for a walk? How about dance or yoga? My son is 4 and he loves hiking in the woods and doing yoga. He was standing on one leg one day and I told him he was doing yoga. He's been crazy for it ever since!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think she's fine as far as weight goes, BMI is bull. But you might want to look at her diet and make sure you find it healthful. If she does eat a lot of veggies, fruits, and grains and stays active, she is probably much more healthy than the skinny kid next door who eats junk all day and never gets outside.
    MarlaMomma

Answer by MarlaMomma at 11:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2010