how long after you have the baby does your breast leak milk? i am formula feeding only

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your not bf at all I would say a couple weeks, because your going to get engorged at first and all that has to dry up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It can take a while, even a couple of weeks. If you are having problems, let your doc know.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My cousin FF her DD, and she was able to keep it from causing too much pain by wrapping her breasts in cabbage leaves and binding them with an ace bandage.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• DO NOT WRAP OR BIND YOUR BREASTS!!! Doing so usually leads to clogged ducts then mastitis and both are very painful.

If you do not use your milk then you have a possibility of leaking for a year or more. Your body is telling you to feed your child what is best! Have you ever considered donating your milk to children that need that golden juice?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• omg! you are fine with feeding formula!! lol! your breast well likely dry up after about 2 weeks or so. dont bind, just wear a snug fitting bra untill the milk drys up. you can also ice them if they are hurting.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'm not really sure. I tried BF my first but I was young and uneducated and switched to FF within 3 days. I don't remember my milk staying around long though. Just wear a snug sports bra and try to keep them out of warm water (you'll relax in the warmth, which will cause your milk to "let down," which will cause you to lose milk which will lead to the production of more). I'd think that as long as you didn't try BF, it shouldn't stay very long as you haven't been stimulating the production of more.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 5:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010