question about BF

when i had my son my milk did not come till a week later, how does your baby eat during that time if you want to nurse? is the colostum enough to fill his belly for a whole week?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Your body produces colostrum, a nutrient rich clear liquid. If the baby is hungry, she will nurse more, encouraging the milk to come sooner. Mine came in two days pp, with each child.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yep, I didn't think I was producing enough at first as it took a while for my milk to come in, but my DD (who was preemie) kept gaining weight just fine and is now a CHUNKY (almost) 1 year old.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• For my son, it wasn't. My milk didn't come in until 4 days later and actually the night we brought him home, he cried from 10pm till 5am. I had been nursing him the whole time and he just kept crying. Finally my mom told me to just give him some formula because we tried everything else and nothing worked. So I gave him a little bottle and he guzzled it down in like 1 minute. Then he finally went to sleep. The poor guy was sooo hungry! So until my milk came in, I gave him a little formula here and there to make sure he was satisified. He's just has a big appetite...even to this day. Some babies are fine with just the colostrum, and other might need a litlte more. It is okay to give a little bit of formula as long as you are still nursing as much as you normally would. Just go with your gut.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• normally milk doesnt come in for a while. Colostrum is enough. it is full of nutrients to satisfy the baby. thats why it comes first our body naturally makes what the child needs.

my dd didnt even learn to latch on until like the fifth day.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My milk was fully in the day we left the hospital, so day 3. Your milk production is stimulated by your baby's appetite. Most of the time your body will take the lead of the baby in producing milk instead of colostrum but I have met a few women who have had to supplement here and there and after the first week or two were exclusively nursing. Take your cue from your baby. Nurse as often as your baby wants but if you feel the need to give an ounce or two of formula once in a while that's ok. One thing that will help your milk come in is nursing every 3 hours (or sooner if your baby wants) around the clock for the first few weeks. If your baby tries to sleep longer, gently wake him just enough to latch, most babies will nurse while sleeping. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I guess I am the weirdo here. I had my son at 7 at night, by the next morning at 10, I had my milk come in. My son's colostrum time was short. He got milk immediately. Almost always, the colostrum is enough. It is more nutrient rich too. As long as you child is peeing enough diapers, you can be sure he is getting plenty.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, colostrum is enough. If baby is not getting enough you and hand express more colostrum and give it to baby on a spoon. Introducing formula in those first couple of weeks will put you at high risk of not bringing in a full milk supply. Really excellent info on baby getting enough until your milk comes in at http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010