Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Getting on welfare

This is not the place for welfare bashing...please.

I just need advice. I've never been on any form of government assistance before and am hesistant even now, mostly for reasons of pride. I'm soon to be a single mom, I have a job (but not full time) and go to school (full time). Anyway, I'm just wondering what steps I need to take to get on welfare. Do I apply for section 8 then everything else? How does all that work? I'm in KS by the way.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • Honey, as long as you have a part-time job, you won't qualify for anything other than FS. It's the way it works. With you going to school, you won't be able to get on housing either. Welfare is for someone who does not work at all, unfortunately. Just because you are a single mom, does not justify nor guarantee anything.

    As a single mom in Missouri, I worked 25 hours a week. I only qualified for FS. Not even Medicaid. Medicaid covered the kids, but not me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • i work part time and get everything... fs medical and cash but did not accept the cash assistance for pride reasons. it varies really.

    school does make an effect to. in my state you dont need to do section 8 you just go in to apply or you can fill out the applicationonline and they contact you when they receive it by mail. usually about 2-4 days after.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • Go to the welfare office and fill out an application for foodstamps, the medical card and cash assistance if those are what you are looking for. You can either stay or make an appointment and come back to meet with a case worker. She/he'll go over everything you need to bring in to file your application and get it all started. They'll let you know what and how much of whatever you qualify for. I believe section 8 is a different office.
    I hope things work out for you and this is a smooth transition.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • depending what you make you usually can get housing, FS, medical, possibly WIC if the kids are young. EVERY state is different so you need to search and see where to go for help. Here you can make a certain amt of money and qualify for section 8 or public housing. You will not qualify for cash because you work and most states guidelines are no income for that and they will go after the dad if you need it. Will he pay child support? Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • It is not true that because you have a job you can not get assistance but unfortunatly where i live you can not get assistance when you are going to college unless you are in 2 certain programs at college. I would fill out an application or call first.

    Answer by lendales_mommi at 4:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.