sleeping on your back well pregnant

ok so i heard its bad for you to sleep on your back why is that to me thats the only way i can have a good night sleep and i asked my mom bout it and she told me thats how she selpt through out her 3 pregnancys and i go to my dr friday and is gonna ask her if its safe but i want to know whos sleeps on there back still and who slept on there back well pregnant and if anything went wrong

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• itsok to sleep on your back though its not recomend becasue they say the baby dont get good oxygen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• and p.s i have a torne muscle on my left side and it hurts really bad to sleep on any sides and the only relif i get is sleeping on my back
    senior_2OO8

Answer by senior_2OO8 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i slept on my back often while pregnant. They say its not good because you have a major artery right there in your back where the child could put pressure on and the baby could then not get the best oxygen it could verse if you laid on your right side... which is recommended... (I think its right side.. maybe its left..Hmm...)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• its the left side that they say is best to lay on the baby gets the best oxygen then but if you cant and it hurts just talk to your doctor
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 1:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• ha! Ok..
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'm having my 5th baby and I sleep however I can get comfortable and right now that is on my back and I'm 36 weeks today. When I try and sleep on my side I feel like my stomach is just going to pull off my body even with pillows. I even half sleep on my stomach some times just to get a different angle (did that up until I delivered with my last kid).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It's to avoid something called supine hypontension syndrome, only an issue further into pregnancy when your uterus has quite a bit of weight to it. What happens is the uterus puts too much pressure on the inferior vena cava (the large vein that carries all the de-oxygenated blood from the lower body back into the heart). When this happens it affects your blood pressure, and the blood going to the placenta. This in turn affects the amount of blood & oxygen baby gets.....
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• .......You don't have to lay on your side to sleep though. The vein is located just to the right of your spine, so to avoid squishing it all you have to do is lean slightly to the left so that the weight is shifted more to that side. I'm 29 weeks & still sleep on my back, I just put a pillow under my right side or try to lean a little. I used to work on the ambulance and when we would strap a pregnant woman to the gurney she was still on her back, it just had a lever that lifted the right side of the gurney about 2-3 inches so her weight was slightly shifted.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• How old are you? Sleep on your back WELL pregnant?
    Ask your Doctor.
    It is "While pregnant".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• anon 04 she was saying she sleeps well on her back! Gosh so damn vicious! Any way, all the weight from the baby can put alot of pressure on your lungs and give you alot less oxygen, therefore the baby gets less! I like to do it, but I get major sleep apnea due to lack of oxygen , so my hubby has to kepp me on my side! Ask your doc, and realx! GL Prayers to you!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010