Insults - how would tell your child to handle this?

DS is spending the week at Vacation Bible School. Today he comes home and says the kids were saying he is fat. I was completely baffled by this. Why? Because he's NOT even CLOSE to being fat. He's a good weight and height, and trust me, I make sure he eats healthy stuff, with a limit on sweets and stuff.

I understand that kids name call. I could understand (not condone mind you- but would understand it) if older kids were calling him a baby or making fun of his clothes or something - typical stuff. But fat? It doesn't even make sense to me.

How would you tell your child to react to this?

DH and I have given him advice and assured him that basically what they said was totally unfounded and uncalled for, just curious what others would do/say (or tell him to do) in this situation.

Oh yeah, he doesn't like to get kids in trouble, so he's not willing to tell an adult that's around when it's happening. Advice please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Perhaps you can talk to one of the pastors/priests/ministers or people in the school to have a lesson plan done up about ridicule of others. I remember when I went to VBS they were always open to lessons that were involving their students. They are there to learn, and while I may no longer be a CHristian, there are some good lessons in the bible about issues like this, that could help your son as well as those who are teasing him, learn a valuable lesson.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• In my experience, the WORST thing he can do is ignore it. He needs to stand up for himself. Bullies pick on people that allow it. For YEARS my mom told me to ignore the bullies and they would stop. They never did until I literally started slapping them around a little lol.

Don't encourage physical violence, but do give him some things to say to shut the other kids up. Like maybe "What would Jesus say if he heard you calling me fat? Do you think He'd be okay with that?" I think that's appropriate since it's Bible School and all, and it will shut those other kids up quick.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When I was a kid I was so skinny that you could see all my ribs......... and a child called me fat beacuse I have little rolls at my arm pits.
    They are a part of me.... but that child decided to pick on me calling me fat.
    btw...When I was in my early 20s I was 5'4" and 108 lbs....... and still had those rolls.... it is simply how I am built

After dealing with it for a day or two I Ggot in that kids face and told him off.
    He never bothered me again.
    Your child is a target because he "doenst want to get people in trouble"........ tell him to toughen up and get in that kids face and tell him to STOP IT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Tell him to ignore that type of talk. I tell my son if the say things that make you feel bad then they are not your friend. If it is still a problem then I would be talking to the teacher or who ever is watching them. You would think in that type of enviourment that shouldnt be a problem.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Bullying/Name calling is a problem in any environment. My son is a quiet type and tends to stick to himself. He is far from being fat but got picked on almost non-stop this past school year. Finally after about a week of his attempting to deal with the other kids (his choice), I called the principal and he came into the classroom and talked about bullying and name calling. It helped ALOT - no, it didn't completely solve the problem. But it did get better and my son eventually learned that if he stood up to those making fun of him, they would either go away or find someone else to pick on. I did try to talk him into telling an adult about it, but he said that he would be called a tattle tale.
    mcpavelka

Answer by mcpavelka at 11:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010