Does anyone know what can help balance hormones after childbirth?

I had a baby five months ago, and just the last few weeks I have been feeling very sad. I am having a hard time controlling my emotions. Everything is extreme like I am either really sad, angry, or happy but mostly sad. I am usually very laid back, but lately I have been irrational about everything. Could it be the hormones, or even delayed postpartum? Does anyone know what can help?

pnkrcklvr

Asked by pnkrcklvr at 1:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are so smart to realize you need to balance your hormones after childbirth. Kudos to you! I did not learn this until I got breast cancer, started to research and realized how estrogenic I had been most of my life. No wonder I felt like crap and ended up with bc! But live and learn. I managed to get my hormones in balance by losing weight, walking daily, cutting out the dairy (the hormones are deadly) and eating lots of cuciferous veggies like broccoli and brussel sprouts. There is a wonderful supplement called I3C or DIM which comes from cuciferous veggies which helps. Tumeric and lots of Vit D are also essential. You probably need at least 5000 IU a day to make up for what you have lost, especially if you are nursing. It will really help your babies immune system. DO NOT take any hormone supplements. They will only make it worse in the end.
    One more thing, BOUNCE! As in use a mini tramp. It gets everything flowing well!
    Pecanz

Answer by Pecanz at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• you need to go to your OBGYN and get a prescription! That is the best thing for you! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would talk to my doctor if I were you.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• first, congratulations on your new arrival ;) simple things, and when to consult the doctor are hard to discern - you'll learn as you go, believe me..
    vita D, B, E, and all the rest you can get will help ;) eat right, don't cut your calories too drastically,
    you'll do fine, you are the advicate for your child - keep youself on a positive track ;)
    b_anne78

Answer by b_anne78 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• HI, I agree, go to your doctor, take your vitamins, but also, don't forget exercise!!! Take that beautiful baby of yours for walks! There is something about exercise that can help balance the chemicals in your brain! Congrats on the baby!
    JoMixx

Answer by JoMixx at 1:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Eating right will help you alot. Natural Food. Bananas, Avacoda's are high in potassium and will help control mood swings. Some Lavendar oil will also keep you calm and peaceful. Just a few drops on your hands rub in and inhale.
    jeric

Answer by jeric at 3:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Do some research on estrogen dominance. Most of the time feelings like that are caused by that, and not ppd, if it didn't start right away. I went through it, and balancing my hormones worked great, but every woman is different.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all so much! Lots of great advice here. I do not think it is extreme enough to go to the dr. I am not having bad thoughts or anything. I have talked to my family about it also, so they can keep a look out. I might go to the dr. just in case. Thanks again.
    pnkrcklvr

Answer by pnkrcklvr at 1:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• it could be your hormones getting back to normal.
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I bet it is due to a lack of sleep...good solid eight hours kind of sleep. If I don't get enough sleep,it makes me moody and sad and touchy. Good luck...a new baby is sweet but you do get tired out!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010