Question for my conservative counterparts...

Why do you stand up for a safety law from the fda regarding blood donation/ gays?

Don't we believe in smaller government?

Isn't it the medical community's responsibility to set up it's own guidelines, and NOT the goverments?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a bigoted rule. Other groups are just as high or higher risk of contracting AIDS and there is no blanket rule banning their race, gender or sexual orientation. Only gay men are subject to that. Bottom line, if the blood doesn't pass screening, don't use it. There are over 11 million gay men who do NOT have HIV and many of them will have rare blood types. Why ban them from giving because of the half million who do have it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I didn't know gays couldn't give blood? I'm pretty sure every time I've given blood they've just asked if I had unprotected sex in the past thirty days (or however long).
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We are NOT counterparts...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i think the gov is way too involved in a lot of things personaly.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I didn't know gays couldnt give blood either, I think thats wrong.

A gay person could save someones life if they gave blood.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well, then, anon, the question clearly wasn't for you? Because it was addressed to "my conservative counterparts."

k, now, get along, little trolly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think it is outdated. In the early days of HIV/AIDS I can understand the ban. It was a new disease and there was not much information regarding it. We now have the testing available and HIV/AIDS is an equal opportunity disease. All blood is tested so it should not matter who it came from. I think the questions that are asked before a person gives blood should be enough.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• And really, it's not like it's any different than a straight person's blood. They test it before it goes to a bank anyway.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh, I guess I didn't read closely enough! I thought the Red Cross (or whoever does the collecting) set the guidelines! I thought the earlier question dealt with the CDC. That will teach me to stay on here this late! Actually I don't mind some guidelines, but not gov't guidelines. At this point in time, I don't trust the gov't to be able to find it's way out of a wet paper bag.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with Sara, they test the blood before giving it to someone, so a person could lie anyway about anything drugs, sex, gay or straight... and the bank wouldn't know until it gets tested.

So why ban something like this?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010