Will a urine test come up positive with an ectopical pregnancy?

Mommy834

Asked by Mommy834 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• not usually. in fact ectopic pregnancies don't usually become apparent until they are causing you severe pain
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes. It is still a pregnancy, though not a viable one, and it will still prompt your body to produce hCG, which is the hormone that makes a test positive. Often in ectopics the hormone levels are lower than would be expected in a healthy pregnancy, but it takes very little hormone to turn a test positive.

I got a positive pregnancy test at 14 days past ovulation (4 weeks pregnant) with my ectopic.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The anon is WRONG.
    Ati_13

• Yes it can. It did with me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes. It did with mine, I got a positive HPT and a positive urine test at my doctors at 6 weeks. I didn't find out it was ectopic until a week later.
    I was told that with an ectopic pregnancy the hCG hormone levels are the same as a normal (not ectopic) pregnancy for the first few weeks but then slow down or stop at that level while a healthy pregnancy will continue to rise. Thats just what Ive heard.
    Either way the anon is defiantly wrong.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 3:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes. It did with mine.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I had ectopic and got a positive test at 4 weeks,found out ectopic at 6 weeks:(
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010