at what age do babies start saying mama in the correct meaning? dada? baba? no? etc.

I just went to my dd one year check up and the dr was concerned that she isn't saying mama when she wants me. He said that she should be talking by now and he is concerned that she may have fluid in her ears and need tubes put in. He said that at age 15 months if she isn't talking he will have us go to an audiologist and look into tubes.

Should I be freaking out???? Please help.
My dd does say dada, nananana, yayayay, etc but not in the correct phrase. She just blurts sounds and babbles all over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son also just had his one year check up. And he only says "mom mom"and "dadada" and not with meaning either. He babbles a lot and that all his doctor asked about. She only wanted to know if he babbles a lot and says familar words, she wasn't concered when I told her he doesn't say them with meaning. I think your daughter is right on track but. To sit down with her a lot and talk and read to her. But I wouldn't worry too much but maybe you could go get a second opinion to ease your mind.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 7:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• There is a big range for when babies start talking. I agree with getting a second opinion about the tubes. Lots of times they are put in when it wasn't needed. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Get a second opinion. My son said Momma to me way before then, but, he said everything early and WAY before the normal time. My mom was told to get tubes put in my ears and she never did...I am fine now. So, I say get several opinions and research and make an informed decision.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• my daighter is 11 monthes and has been doing that for about a month or so! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My was born with 5 other kids. They are within 11 days of eachother. They are almost 1. None of them say them correclty all the time. I think you need a second opinion.
    Anonymous