when do you turn a carseat around facing front? Is it by weight? My daughter is 20.7 lbs and her feet are not touching the seat yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is about 21ish pounds and I keep her rear facing. I plan on doing as long as I can. I feel it is safer. It is a personal choice though. I think the rule is 1 year old.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They have to be 22lbs and a year old in most states.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Please keep your child rear facing for as long as possible. Check out ERF in the group posts for plenty of information. There is a car seat group as well to help you make an informed decision. Baby has to stay, per law, rear facing til at least one year of age.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I personally turn my child around at 1. I out them in a 5 point harness seat that is forward facing! ERF is just plain silly to me, so is a ten year old in a booster! JMO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We're waiting until she's 2 or maybe even later. The law is 20 lbs AND 1 year old. Not one or the other. Both.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• There is a car seat group here that can tell you all you could possibly want to know. AAP recommends keeping carseats rear facing until 2 years of age.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• JoLee: Have you SEEN the crash test demonstrations? Rear facing is the safest for everyone, even adults. Because children are small they are even more at risk at being front facing. It's crash physics and children can be spared the most horrific of injuries if their parents would just rear face them for the first 4 or 5 years (or until they outgrow the maximum weight limit on the highest rated seat). Watch the videos OP. It is not ridiculous to rear face children for a long time. It also is not an issue if their legs are bent and touching the seat. The one year 20lb rule is very outdated. The laws have not caught up to the knowledge yet.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• amileegirl

• The law is 20lb and 1 year old. But the aap and recent studies show that they are much much safer until 2 and 30lb as a minimum. My son will be 1 on sunday and is about 23lb, so he could be turned, but i have no intentions on doing it. Especially after the first time i seen those crash test videos.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• JoLee - it wouldn't be so silly to you if your child was injured in a crash when they were FF, but still totally able to RF. Many babies have died or been injured to give us the knowledge we have now proving that ERF is safer. I personally, will not let their memories live in vain...our family has learned the benefits of ERF, and when you KNOW better, you DO better. Well, most people anyway. And i've yet to see a 10 year old in a booster, so let's cut the over-dramatization.

OP - You're legally able to turn your child around at 1 year AND 20lbs, however it's not RECOMMENDED. PLEASE join a car seat safety group here on CM to learn more about the benefits of ERF. Even if you choose not to, at least you can say you took the steps to educate yourself on how to keep your precious little one safer in the car. What you choose to do with that education is up to you.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2010