Who is to blame: McDonald's or parents who can't say "No"?

I just saw a story on the news that The Center for Science in the Public Interest is planning on suing McDonalds for offering Happy Meal toys, because it causes childhood obesity. My question is--Who is really to blame--McDonald's or the parents who let their kids eat the junk?

My personal opinion is that by blaming McDonalds we are saying that parents have no control over what our kids are eating. I know that McDonalds is not healthy and I do not take my kids there very often, but if I would like to take my boys out for a special treat, it should be my right. Children do not typically go to McDonald's by themselves and order a Happy Meal. A parent usually takes them there and buys the food. Who should get the blame?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 7:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• it is the parents fault. mcdonalds is a treat for kids a sometimes meal. it is ok to eat an unhealthy meal every great once in a while. but for the parents that take them there every day or everyother day it is the parents fault. happy meals is supposed to have toys in them that is what makes the "treat" that much better...and they offer healthier options now as well such as apple instead of fries....and you can get the burger plain and that would cut out about half of its calories.....even take off the top bun...so i think the peeps suing mc d's is out of line and out of their heads. dont blame the food for tasting good...blame the parents for using as an easy fix for dinner every night instead of a reward or sometimes treat.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Parents are to blame. Sure, McDonalds sells unhealthy food and they offer a toy with it. They advertise it everywhere for us to see. However, no one is forcing parents to buy food there. They could always tell their kids no.

Blaming McDonalds is just as bad as blaming Cookie Monster.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 7:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It is the parent's fault, blaming McDonald's is just stupid in my opinion.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Parents fault of course, but it wont be very long before toys are not offered in meals b/c of that. In my opinion :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Parents are to blame. Kids don't eat at McDonalds 24/7.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Parents! I think this whole thing is stupid. Posting a link from NPR on it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/06/22/128004428/consumer-group-to-mcdonald-s-drop-the-toys&sc=fb&cc=fp

kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• hands up the stupid ass parents! after my husband and I watched supersize me, we never ate McDonald's ever again.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• parents-end of story!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think it's sad that in the United States of a America that people feel they have the right and entitlement to tell PRIVATE business how to market their wares. NO ONE is forced to buy McD, BK, DQ, Wendy's or all the rest. What ever to parent's having back bones, disciplining their children, and just flat out telling them NO! Who care if Johny's down the street gets to have McD every week. You are not Johny and that's not how we do things. Life is NOT fair, get over it! Seriously it's NOT McD, BK, or DQ that is making people obese, it's over all lifestyle, the generalize feel of entitlement, and in general terms parents lack of discipline and NOT wanting to tell their kids "NO!". I don't know my generation is so scare to parent. I hear all the time well Suzie doesn't .... Or Johny won't.... They are KIDS! Be the ADULT AND TELL THEM NO!! PARENTS MAKE THE RULES NOT THE KIDS!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh kids have always whine and begged, but if a parent has a backbone and if NO, always means, NO the whine comes to a stop. Kids learn to accept when Mom said NO she means No. My kids know that NO means NO, because when I said NO, I meant NO. No amount of whining when they were younger (and now) changed my answer.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2010