If a child tans well and does not get sun burnt, would you still make them wear sunscreen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• YES YES AND YES! My son browns very well, call him the gingerbread boy and I put him on 70 everytime we walk outside! They can still get sun damage and skin cancer.

And its a good habit to teach them for when they need to put it on themselves.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes!

Answer by older at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, sunscreen helps reduce the risk of skin cancer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• absolutely yes and don't forget a hat.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Sunscreen is not to keep you from getting burned only...it is to prevent skin cancer and sun damage. Pasty white folks, Brown folks..even the darkest of black folks still need sunscreen for protection. Everyone needs it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• YES!!! Tanned skin is DAMAGED skin!! Might look good as a youngster, but when it turns to skin cancer later it isn't so pretty then is it?? Like I tell my kid unit, you only need to protect the skin you don't want to rot off later. My child is VERY fair..red hair, blue eyes, opaque skin...so sunscreen is a MUST for her and as high as SPF as we can find. And she still burns sometimes. It's a fight sometimes, but the risk of skin cancer is enough of a risk to fight the fight.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 8:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• OP here. I know this. We had a playdate at a local pool the other day and the one mom said her kids, ages 4 and 1, don't wear sunscreen because they don't burn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yes
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yes, I do.'
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes!!!
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 8:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2010