How many here eat because of stress or other emotions? How can I find other ways to deal with stress and emotions other than eating?

mrogers123

Asked by mrogers123 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• I used to eat when I would get bored or emotional, and it really took a lot to get me past that. Here is what I did:
    First I set a timer during the day (Personally I used my cellphone) and I only ate my meals around the time that it went off...no snacking in between. I'd have it go off every three hours because it's best to eat every 2-3 hours rather than 3 large meals per day. The next thing I did was start a journal that I would use whenever I wanted to eat. I would write down what I was thinking of eating, and how I was feeling at the time. If I was emotional about something or bored, I would explain why I felt that way and then suggest to myself an alternative like "Go read a book for 15 minutes". It took a bit, but eventually I stopped all the emotional eating. Good luck hun!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I eat because Im bored....I just find other things to do ....read a book, go for a walk, .....talk with a friend:)
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Hey hun! You aren't alone. I eat when I am bored or upset or happy...any emotion really. I'm lucky and I'm young and it's just now starting to effect me. Talk to your doctor. Get outside and walk and read. Cleaning up around the house takes my mind off of it also!
    kalanthestepmom

Answer by kalanthestepmom at 8:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I eat when I'm stressed, which is most of the time. I made DH take all the junk food out of the house and replace everything I loved ( chocolate mostly) with Apples! Hey , why not?
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Honey...If ya find the answer to this one..I want to know!!! this is the true ancient chinese secret. LOL I try to stay busy. Being on cafe mom helps as it is hard to stuff ones face and type at the same time. LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I do, and I find the best thing for me is to get out and do something to take mind off th esituation. This has helped this past month.
    jlbtnc

Answer by jlbtnc at 8:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I do!!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 8:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2008