Is a fever of 103.1 way too high?

Monday my 2 year old had a fever of 102.8 and I stayed home with him but he was acting completely fine all day and his fever went away. Yesterday was Tuesday and he was fine. Before bed he seemed a little stuffy but that was it. In the middle of the night he crawled into bed with me and told me he was hot and sure enough he was. He had a fever of like 102 something then. A couple of hours later when I took it, it was 104 even. Now it's 103.1. Should I be crazy worried? Should I wake him to give him something?

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Health

• Call your doctor's office and ask to speak with a nurse, or leave a message for the nurse to call you back. Tell her what's going on. They may want to see him, they may not. If it's higher than 103, I'd give Motrin or Tylenol and call the doc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• What are his other symptoms? Have you given him any Tylenol or Motrin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• fevers go up sometimes when they are sleeping. It's best to take a temp when they are wake and out of bed for a bit. (or at least that's what I've been told over the years). This is NOT a medical site and really if you are that concern you should consult a professional. Call your doctors office, Call an ask a nurse hot line, seek MEDICAL advice from a professional, not a bunch of strangers on a social form.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Really he has no other symptoms. Other than sounding a bit stuffy. He's not complaining of anything. And is eating pretty well. No no motrin or tylenol throughout the night he was sleeping good so I figured not wake him. Maybe a mistake?
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I always treat fevers over 100.5. They can spike quite quickly resulting in febrile seizures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No I wouldn't be worried but I'd be treating him with Motrin and Tylenol. The Motrin ( also called Ibuprofen) lasts for 8 hrs. so give him some before bed and when he wakes up.  Using Motrin and Tylenol together work better at controlling fever.  If the fever lasts more then 3 days you should call a doctor.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I do the same with motrin and tylonal. Alternate it ! Feel better little one...
    Anonymous