My baby's sleep is messed up. Does anyone have some good advice how to help her?

This is my 3rd, so I'm not a new mommy. But her sleep is really messed up and with caring for 2 active toddlers, I don't have the time to just sit and hold the baby all day so she'll sleep.

She's 6 months old. Her sleep got messed up at 5 weeks when she got RSV and had to be hospitalized. She then developed asthma and severe reflux due to complications from the RSV. Before this, she would nap and sleep some in her portable crib. But after the illness, she will only sleep well if I'm holding her. I've tried the small crib, the full size crib, the pack n play, the swing, the bouncy seat, etc.

She's exhausted. She won't nap longer than 15 to 20 min if I'm not holding her. She won't sleep in a front carrier, wrap, or sling (I've tried all 3). At night she sleeps in bed with me, but has now started waking at 4am and crawling around the bed. So, she isn't even resting well at night. Anyone have some good advice?

*No CIO pls

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 8:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried doing infant massage with her before nap & bedtimes to help her relax? It sounds like she's restless.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• DD has the same issue of waking up when we put her down (6 mos also). And CIO doesn't work for her either she will scream for HOURS. (only done that once). As for naps I've noticed if I go lay down with her until she falls asleep and sneek out of bed she will usually stay asleep. I'd say just make sure she's getting enough exercise so she's really worn out during the day. And try to cut back on the daytime naps so she will sleep better at night. If it's a day where I've been out and about all day and dd hasn't been able to play and roll around on the floor and what not she doesnt' sleep well at night.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thanks Wheepingchree. Massage worked!
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010