Bed time routine for a 1 yr old?

Up until now I would take my DS to his room, dim lights, pj's on and I would give him his last bottle in rocking chair and we would have that special time together before bed. Now that he is 1 and we have gotten rid of the bottle I am having a hard time w/ a new routine. Bath time is during the day b/c it is very stimulating for him. I have tried reading and he just will not sit still for that yet. So now he gets a small cup of milk and then we got to his room get PJ's on and he goes to bed. Is this enough of a routine?? Am I over thinking this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are overthinking it. The routine does not need to be extravagant. some routines take 30 minutes and some take 1 hour. It all depends on the child. A routine is just something that repeats the same steps each night, you might only have 2 steps but for some kids (like mine) there are more. Ours is bath (every other night),hair (DD has tons), vitamin, brush teeth, book, rocking for 15 mins or so(3 yrs and still wants rocked), then bed where I must give hugs and kisses to whatever 'baby' she has sleeping with her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would add brushing teeth after the milk, and reading at night is a great thing to start early - even if he won't let you read the book, you can flip through the pages and point things out, or get some books that have different textures he can feel, or lift the flap to see what's underneath, etc. We sing the same song at night too just before laying him in bed.
    But you don't need an elaborate routine, just whatever works for your son and your family!

Answer by missanc at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Sweetie you are way overthinking this lol you are doing the right thing stay consistant and it will work it lasted 2 weeks for my son but after it was great he is now 12 yrs. old he will still have a glass of milk before bed and at 8:30 or 9 he kisses me goodnight and off to bed he goes so just stick with it you will be fine.
    itwonthurt

Answer by itwonthurt at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010