How would you pronounce this name?

I love the Welsh name for a girl, Ceridwen, but am concerned with it being pronounced wrong. Without me telling you the correct pronunciation, please tell me how you would say it. Thanks!

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kare-idd-when
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Shared-en

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Carrie-dwen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'll wait for a few more responses... (:
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Cher ri den
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 9:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Here in the states - it will be pronounced Carrie-dwen.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• at first i thought, ''wasn't that the name of liv tyler's character in LOTR?" lol..don't have a clue. maybe with a 'k' sound, rather than 'c' or 's'?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i've always liked the name ''Ce'Nedra", from a david eddings character, in his Belgariad/Mallorean series. never was sure how to pronouce it, but always wanted to name my daughter the same. alas, i only had one boy. shoulda named him ''Garion''. :)

how long you gonna keep the suspence up?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Okay... it's a hard C, so it's like Care-id-when. Some people got it right, but some got it wrong. So now I STILL don't know what to do! I don't want my child to constantly be called the wrong name, you know?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i've actually heard this name before, so I won't give it away, but when I first saw it, I thought it was sheriden

I would also like to ask you a favor. Teach your child to be patient with people who misprounounce the name. I am a teacher. When the new school year starts and i have a student with a name I haven't seen before, I often will ask how they pronounce it. It irks me that I get such an attitude!! At least in your case, it's a regional name and your child will be able to say--it's a welsh name, it means . But sometimes you get names that are a common proununciation, but a bizarre spelling!! I try to goggle the unknown names ahead of time, but there are many times the creative spelling parents come up with are not listed with a prounciation and then it seems like all hell breaks lose.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010