My 13 month old started walking and now hates her car seat, stroller and riding in shopping carts....

What did you all do if your baby went through this? I just need some tips...it's getting hard to do any shopping...she also is still facing backwards in her carseat because the seat we have will hold her til she's 30lbs....she's only 19 so she's got a long way to go in it....

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just stick to your guns and she will have to succumb. Fortunately my boys never went through this. My 2 year old still sits in the stroller and shopping carts. If she doesnt cooperate, she doesnt get to go with you. YOU are the parent and you are looking out for her safety and well being. Maybe giving her a book, snack or favorite toy will help. As for grocery shopping, she can be in charge of holding the list and coupons. If she gets to be involved in what is going on, she may be more likely to want to do it again without complaints. Good Luck!!! :)
    actingout

Answer by actingout at 9:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She has learned some independence in walking and when you put her in the seat, she doesn't like it. This is a learning thing. She needs to learn that while she can walk, she still must at times, sit in the car/cart... Just be consistant about it. Don't let her walk one time and then expect her to sit the next. She must learn that if she wants to walk in the store, that it's a privelege and only happens when she's good.

I remember shopping with DD and she screamed the whole time because she wanted to walk and I wouldn't let her (really busy that day). She learned that if she behaved, she would be allowed to sometimes but if she acted up, she didn't get out of the cart.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When my oldest boy started walking, he hated the stoller and the car seat. He would push his legs against the back of the car seat and push himselfback. At that time (10 years ago) it wasn't recommended to keep them rear facing past 1 year or 20lbs. although he was a year old, he wasn't 20lbs so I waited as I was told I should at least wait until then.
    As for the stroller, I actually had a minivan and I bought him a wagon and I got the wagon out everywhere we went.
    He didn't mind the shopping cart though...
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I know you do not think this is simple, but she is growing into the terrible twos a little early and so mom, you are going to learn to have a back bone and do what is right for the child.
    1. She is going to wear a seat belt. Period. At NO TIME does she go any where without one on. As they grow up it will just become a habit. Then, when they are on their own and driving around they will still be using it. I am 62 and had five kids. There are at least 3 of my friends who would have lost their children as teenagers if they had not been wearing seat belts. I would suggest telling her that you are going to take her some where, but that if she fusses about the seat belt--you will not go. And then follow your rule..Remember you are the parent. ( I had to remember that for years because my first child went through the twos from age 2-12. -- the other four did not). When she wants to walk, let her--put her on a leash!!!
    juicyfruits

Answer by juicyfruits at 9:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We don't always get to have what we "want". I agree with the other posters. Just stick to your guns. If you want her in the cart then put her in the cart. You want her in the stroller then put her in the stroller. Just because SHE wants to walk around, doesn't mean she can or should.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Now I know that a lot of people think putting a child on a leash  is treating your child like a dog.   Forget what they say.  Today they have cute ones, when mine was little I got ridiculed a lot.  So keep that spine of yours growing.  Putting the child on the leash lets the child feel that they are independent.  They walk, they get worn out and then will happily get in a stroller.  You also will not loose the child in the mall and no one is going to snatch the child from you..

Good luck.  Just always remember that you are the parent.

juicyfruits

Answer by juicyfruits at 9:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We went through this with my son. I just always told him he could walk with me, or he would go in his stroller. It took a couple of times of him screaming when he wanted to go his own way, but then he got the picture. He's now 19 months and since the novelty of walking has worn out (around 16-17 months) he is much more willing to go in his stroller. He also learned to listen and it helped reinforce the "if . . . then" method that we use in our house for all sorts of discipline.

Answer by missanc at 10:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We got my daughter a convertible carseat. It sits up a little mroe than the infant ones. She's still RFing until 35lbs(She's 20 months and 26lbs). I would let her push the stroller when we went somewhere(yes, it took a while) and she'd tire out and want to go back in it. At the grocery stores she was always in a sling cause carts are nasty.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010