Should I report animal neglect/abuse? Really struggling with the choice-

My dear friend has a stepson that is a hoarder,,,he has lots of issues, but the one I am concerned about is he has around 30-40 cats, they are all inbred and now are really sick and have been dying one by one. His Dad stepped in and demanded he do something about the problem,, anyway come to find out he has been releasing these cats at the park, not taking them to the shelter, I am worried because they said the cats have red bugs all over them, what if they come in contact with another pet? I feel I need to call the humane society, but the Family will know who did it, my friend is worried the son may kill himself if they take the cats away, but I think it is cruel to continue to allow them to be either released to fend for themselves or just die, because he cannot afford to get treatment, I don't want to be responsible for him harming himself, and I don't want to start drama between my friend and her husband, what to do?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Could you report it that you saw a young man releaseing cats at the park?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would call if in that situation. This guy may end up very sick or could even die in those conditions. He can get toxoplasmosis (Sp?) from the cat feces and die. So, try to think of it like you could be saving his life by calling. Chances are, any reports to the city are public record, so the family could find out it was you. (Check your state laws.) I would prepare myself for their comments and just reinforce the fact that I did the right thing by getting help for someone who was too unstable to get help for himself.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• the animals need help and u know about the problem. what he is doing is abuse and its cruel and also a nuisance to everyone and every animal that these poor cats do come in contact with. a dear friend wouldnt threaten u that she would know u did it. i would report anon and then deny anything about it if they question u. its the best thing to do for the cats and the kid. he needs help too and it sounds as if his dd cant bring himself to do what needs to b done. tell the humane society what the whole situation is and they may involve adult protective services. i wouldnt worry about yr friend. she isnt being much if one. she has issues of het own and can get help for herself if she needs it. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Report it as you're a neighbor complaining about the smell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would , it's not as if your hurting anyone.It sounds like he is.Please do the right thing.Those poor cats , what if they are at the park and make a child sick?
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would do it anon, you don't have to divulge your name, but do it for the sake of him and those animals!

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree I think you should report it.. if the kid is crazy enough to kill himself it wouldnt be your fault it would be his own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• If you're really worried for the man's life, he is CERTAINLY more important than cats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I planned on doing in anon,, but the family will know who did it,, they are humiliated by it, and I have tried to encourage my friend to do this,, she is just sick over this, but he husband threatend divorce if she did, he even called me and said if you report this we will know who did, the kid (adult kid) lives on about a acre, so the smell thing won't fly,,,,Yes I have thought about the cats coming in contact with kids etc,,,,,I was wondering if I could just call social services,, he has emotional problems, he can't hold a job because he smells so bad,,if social services comes,, will they call the humane society? He lives alone, so I am not even sure they would investigate,,,,,,IDK I had felt alot better when they said, and believed he was taking them to the shelter,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't call the Humane Society, as they will likely not have the funds or authority to deal with this. I'd call animal control. If the family will not step in and help, they are enabling him to live like this.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2010