If your child wears AFOS?

So today we are getting them adjusted again due to pressure sores. They were just adjusted a few months ago for the same issue. I KNOW adjustments are common and are to be expected, especially since children are still growing etc. I'm really curious about YOUR PERSONAL experience. So far we've had to get adjustments every 2-3 months. How often did YOU have to go in for adjustments?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son has been wearing AFOs for years. We typically don't need to make adjustments very often, but every once in a while we'll get a brace that needs to be adjusted constantly because it just keeps bugging him. Usually this happens when he's in the middle of one of his infrequent growth spurts, which because they are so infrequent & unpredictable, we can't plan around them, so we just deal with the frequent trips back to the orthotist until he's done growing.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• How funny you should ask this question, my husband is an orthotist, and depending on how fast your kiddo is growing, depends on how often you should get them adjusted,, sores are not good,,,I would talk about taking him in more often, what is the condition he is wearing them for? He may need a different type of AFO>good luck momma and give your kiddo a hug,, my hubby loves his young patients!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• He just started wearing the AFO Jan of 2010. As I've said we've been in every 2-3 months to have the adjusted. We notice the sores right away, this time they are at a stage 1 or less. They are about the size of an eraser head and really are at where the screw of the hinge meets his foot. The last time he had pressure sores was in the beginning of April just days after we added a hinge to his AFO. (I have pictures of his AFOs on my blog). We go see the surgeon next week so imagine that we are going to have to get a new adjustment next week as well to allow for more articulation in the ankle joint. He is wearing AFO because in November 2009 he had surgery for ITW. The surgery lengthen the Achilles tendon in both feet. Wearing the AFOs are a part of his post-surgery recovery.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010