What are good chores for a nine and six year old?

My two oldest need to have chores but i'm not sure what good and age appropiate chores are for them, so you all have any good ideas?

MrsMoss88

Asked by MrsMoss88 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would start off small & work your way up with them if they are not used to having them....yet. One; to take the garbage out. One to sweep the kitchen floor? Maybe they could put all they're dirty laundry in the hamper to be washed & make their own beds.'
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My dd is 8. She feeds/waters dogs and makes bed daily. She also has to pick up after herself and put her laundry away. Then I put 1 "chore" on her list every day. One day it is pull weeds in flower beds or water flowers, fold a load of laundry (usually towels), empty dishwasher, dust living room, dust bedrooms. She hates vaccuuming so i didnt put that on her list but I know she could do it. Sometimes I put pick up sticks on there too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When my kids were 6 and 8 they cleaned their own rooms, vacuuming and dusting once/week; put away their own laundry, wash one load of laundry/week, wipe down the vanity/sink/mirror in their bathroom, sweep the kitchen one night/week, take out the trash 2 days/week, change the sheets on their bed each week, and I think that's it. We have a chore chart set up and they know it's their responsibility to keep up with whose day it is to do what.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My children are responsible for making their beds, cleaning up their room/putting toys away, carry dirty laundry downstairs, put their clean laundry away, empty the dishwasher, feed/water the cats, taking the recycles out. Sometimes they will do 'extras' like sweep the floors, take garbage out, bring clean laundry upstairs.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• 6- dust, put away own laundry, fold towels, sweep porch, straighten movie or book shelf, making bed, cleaning the bathroom mirror...
    by 9. You could add things like, vaccuuming own room, cleaning own bathroom, emptying dish washer...

Not all of them of course! It also depends on the child's ability to complete each task. Trial and error. My friends 6 year old can fold towels while mine has fine and gross motor delays and literally can't fold towels. lol. His newest job is cleaning the bathroom mirror. It's good for his motor skills ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010