Question about our Guinea Pig

I got my daughter a guinea pig, and we have been buying the bedding for it that is fluffy and soft, but we have found that they have like a wood shaving that the pet store that we got him from said not to use, but it states on the package at Walmart that it is safe to use on guinea pigs, and is a fraction of the price of the soft fluffy stuff. So my question is, has anyone used it, and would be ok to switch? We are paying around $8 for this soft fluffy stuff, and the wood shaving like stuff you get a bunch more of and costs about half of what we are paying for this soft stuff. Please help!:)

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 9:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Pine shavings are fine. It's Cedar that you shouldn't use because of the aroma causing respiratory issues. I use Pine and buy the HUGE bag at Wal-Mart. The other stuff is crappy and expensive. Our pigs live YEARS with Pine shavings.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I had guinea pigs as a kid and uses the wood shavings. It is fine before becoming a stay at home i was a vet ass. never had a guinea pig come in with any problems due to wood shavings.
    chuggysmommy08

Answer by chuggysmommy08 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I used to have a guinea pig a long time ago. We used the wood shavings. Some brands/types of trees have more sap I guess than others and sometimes that can bother them. Get a book out of your library and read up on what types of trees the shavings should come from. I can't remember the details for you. I remember lining the cage with newspaper and then putting the shavings on top. And I remember not using the cartoons or ads because the colored print had more toxins. They eat everything, wood shavings, newpaper, you name it! Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I have had guinea pigs for years - the best way to buy the cage linings is at a rancher's outlet by the bulk. It is much, much less expensive than buying that fluffy stuff. Also, buy a cage where the animal isn't exposed directly to its waste, in other words, a wire flooring where the waste falls through, then line with newspaper and the cage linings.

Be sure to give the guinea pig plenty to chew on - branches, leaves, grasses - they will pretty much eat anything (but make sure it is not toxic - oleanders, poinsettia, etc. )

Finally, guinea pigs are very social and like to have other guinea pigs around, they also get along famously with the small Neatherland Dwarf rabbits. If you do introduce another animal, do it gradually.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010