Why?

Do some people feel ashamed of their gay offspring? Is it selfish to think of what people might say first instead of the well being of your child? Why do some find it so difficult to adjust to their children being different than others? Why can't we as parents support our children in every aspect of their lives? Even if your religious beleives tell you it is wrong, doesn't blood prevail? What do your religious believes have to do with other who don't believe as you do? Why must some always judge others on their believes, don't they realize that we are all unique, and their believes only apply to those who believe the same?

A lot of why's I know!

Asked by older at 9:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I love you older. All I can say is it is probably because these people value their religious beliefs over their children or don't want to think about their religion being wrong just because of their children. Some just think religion is the fix all for all of the world's problems when it has only ever really caused problems in mankind's history. I really do hope you get some answers though because I have never understood it either.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• purpleducky, I love you too!!!! most people think of their children as a blessing when they are born, specially religious people, what happens to their blessing when they live a life contradicting their beliefs??????? are they only a blessing as long as they go with their beliefs?

Answer by older at 10:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well they would probably answer that their child is still a blessing but since they have decided to take a non-approved route through life according to their religion then they must make sure their children know this at any expense. These people seem to feel like homosexuality is a choice (which you already know my stance on) and that it is a worse sin than any other sin. They act like being gay is as bad as being a murderer. Granted, you know I realize homosexuality isn't a sin. But to these people it is and they forget they they are sinners too. So I love using the verses "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "Judge not lest ye be judged".
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Wait. Its not only Christians that would be embarrassed (or whatever) that their children are gay. I understand you pointing out the hypocrisy you find though. I think its shocking to anyone that their children turn out to be gay, even if acceptance happens right away or eventually.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• 3giggle, it is a shock, it was to me, but my mother instinct didn't take much time to kick in. I never said it is only Christians who feel this way, but those who do feel ashame tie it up with religious beliefs, and what others will say of their parenting skills, like it has anything to do with that.

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Its fine. Every parent worries about their childrens future.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Not a shock to everyone. When my step daughter came out we where relieved. She was just happier to be out, and it really was not a surprise. With some of the studies I have seen I can't say I would be all that surprised to find out one of our young children is gay as well.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Everyone handles things differently. There are many parents that are accepting of their gay children. I love my kids and if they were gay it wouldn't affect my relationship with them in anyway, they are my children and I'd always be there for them.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010