Just need to vent!!!!

My df started a new job last week and he got his first paycheck today. My dd's 2nd birthday is this saturday and we have been planning on her party for months. The problem is we have been waiting for his paycheck to be able to get the things for her party. I've got it down to about $100-$120 to have her party but he keeps spending his check! I can check online for everytime he uses it and how much and he's already spent $60 today! There is only $140 left on the card and I'm afraid we wont be able to get her the things we wanted. What makes it worse is sunday night he got out only vehicle stuck in a pond and we cant get it out of the tow yard until we come up with $150 and then we have to fix all the water damage! I'm sooo stressed about the money situation and he is just spending money like he doesnt have to worry about it! Sorry for the vent I'm just frustrated and I have no one to talk to about it!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• You and your DF need to learn to budget. Use only cash. You should each keep a small notebook and write down every penny that you spend.

Before committing to marriage (and another child?) make sure that you have the same financial goals and habits.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms. He needs to have the same prioritites and learn to manage money. Look up Dave Ramsey and see if you guys can attend somewhere or atleast get one of his books. This will be an ongoing problem if he doenst want to change.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• he normally doesnt do this, ut he's been unemployed for awhile so i think he just likes being able to have money and he's spending it when it needs to go for other things
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would have him call the guests to reschedule the bday party if he spends all the money. He will think about his actions more next time. Luckily your dd is only 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh boy,, I am so sorry,,, I think you need to have a LONG talk with DH ( he sounds alot like mine) I also think you need to scale back your party,, Cake and icecream few goodies from the dollar store, she is only 2 so anything will make her happy! Why were you driving close to a pond? I think the CAR needs to be #!1 right now,, if you have insurance they should help you get it towed and fixed,,,,if you leave it there the city will come and get it , and it will be more expensive to get out,, so sorry momma, money trouble sucks!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I wasnt driving! He went out mudding with one of his friends in the middle of the night and didnt see the pond and drove right into it. Its not still in the pond it was towed out we just have to get it back from the tow company. he doesnt need it to get back and forth to work. I just wanted my dd to have a good birthday this year. I dont want her to have grow up with crappy stuff like I had to.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Why don't you have a job? Get out there and get yourself a job and then you would be able to spend as you wish. I am sure your friend does not appreciate spending his paycheck on you and your daughter. Why are you depending on his money anyway??

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Plan a budget that gives him "x" amount of blow money. Cash preferably. The debit card is a no-no, since all the money in the account would be going towards other bills. So write up a budget that shows how much your family will be spending on things like groceries, bills, entertainment, eating out, and birthdays. Get him to look it over and agree with you on it. Change something if you need to. Shake hands on it.

The next pay check, pull out his blow money and give it to him. Make sure he knows that that's it. If you need to break it does for him- like $5 a day, or $25 a week- so that if he blows it all, he'll be getting more money soon anyway and he won't be tempted to use the debit card.

Also check out DaveRamsey.com for more helpful tips
    GOOD LUCK :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• DF means Dear fiance not dear friend. It is his kid too. Put the birthday off for a while, she is only two and will not know the difference. Talk to him about goals and how much fun it is to have a paycheck coming in again. Let him have his wahoo and then get bck to real life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Getting something to help wouldn't be a bad idea, you dont have to limit yourselfs. There are lots of ways to make extra csh on the side. Check out HomeCareerSuccess.com

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010