I have a 2yrs old that selectively tells me when she has to use the restroom, is there any trick/tips that can help me teach her to tell me all the time? I want to be done with diapers (for her...I have a 4month as well. She's is definately not ready for potty training.) Thanks

joyof2

Asked by joyof2 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my mom helped me make great progress with potty training my daughter - when we were visiting on vacation for a week during that time, my mom would ask her frequently throughout the day if she needed to go as well as just say let's see if you can go potty now... if your daughter remembers to tell you sometimes, she should be able to get it as long as you stay on top of it regularly for a short while.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• At 2 yrs old, she doesn't have the maturity to tell you all the time. This is where you have to remind her several times a day. And if she is telling you that she needs to potty, she is definately ready to try potty training.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh, whoops, I confused the 4 mo old with the 2 yr old, Sorry!
    Jademom07

• For my son. I never asked him or relied on him to tell me until he was completely trained. I took him and had him try every 30 minutes. He wore Underwear full-time and I would have him try to go every 30 minutes, then, when that became routines and predictable to him, we upped it to 45 minutes and continued this until he just caught on and knew to go. He was 2.5 and was trained in around 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with BradenIsMySon.You should take them every 30 mins even if they dont have to go at least to try.After about a week of doing it you should have great success.It really does work.Maybe even take a book in there with them to look at while going or a small radio to listen to while they are sitting there trying to go.Consistancy is the best.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Do bladder training with her if she no longer has a bottle, if your child still has a bottle you are defeating your purpose. first thing when she wakes up put her on the potty give her a book and turn the water on and sit with her. when she goes make a big deal out of it and praise her. If she like disney or Dora the explorer take her and buy her panties with that person on them and tell her if she goes potty like a big girl she can ware them, but because you have an infant she sees all the attention the baby gets so when baby is sleeping or quite make time for just you and her. my daughter used to call it mommy & me time. Remind her every hour to go to the potty especially before you go somewhere or 15min after she drinks anything if you stay on this it will train her bladder. I also used to keep a jar of M&M's and my daughter knew if she went potty she got some. involve her and make it fun. My daughter was trained in 4days
    itwonthurt

Answer by itwonthurt at 1:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010