How would you answer this question on a preschool app?

What would you like your child to gain from holiday activities in our program?

I am Catholic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They would get to learn about how others celebrate holidays aside from just their own family and help them to understand differences of families, traditions, cultures and religions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well, since I don't know anything about you I couldn't possibly begin to answer. I am not Catholic and even the fact that you are does not necessarily speak to what you want your child to get from it. There are alot of possibilities from presents and snacks to becoming infused with the Holy Spirit... If it were my child I would answer a sense of community, learning to care for others and share special moments with people of all beliefs, an appreciation for celebration.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Perhap knowledge of other cultures? IDK--what do they think a 3 year old should get out of holiday celebrations, besides Cake or a treat? I guess it wouldn't be wrong to say I want my kiddo to have fun?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• A sense of community. Holidays are cultural and religious and you didn't say the preschool was Catholic. So having sent three kids through public school I would say it is important for the kids to share a sense of community within the school even though they may be from many differnt faith. My youngest just graduated from elemetary school and that group of 70 kids has some great shared memories!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• To gain a true understanding of the holiday being celebrated. Personally, I feel that holidays, especially Christmas has become waaayyyy too commercial.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The simpliest answer is to gain an understanding of your (and perhaps others) holidays and their meanings. If it's a school associated with a church, you might want to also add understanding the religious significance of the holiday at an age appropriate level. At preschool age, the basics of the main holidays tend to be similar across Christian faiths.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Catholic or other...about respect for all religions. So sharing about how other people celebrate. At this age it is about learning there are other people who may celebrate differently, live in a different part of the world, speak differently... But are just people. Simple. It is not about doing in depth studies at this age. It is about beginning the idea that we have things that are the same and things that are different. With more focus on the same aspect. Example: children in Africa attend school. But their school may look different than your child's school. So talk about what is the same but also one or two things that are different. Same with holidays and celebrations. Your child may not remember the details of chinese new year but she will catch on and remember some people have cool types of parties we don't usually celebrate. It is a tiny step to learning and developing the abstract concept of diversity and
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Culture in our world. So I would say building blocks of sampling how others celebrate and an introduction to new foods, new celebrations (different not new) and having fun while learning. It's preschool. Simple, short, fun.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would like my child to gain an understanding and appreciation for various cultures, their belief systems and celebrations. I think it would be neat for my child to experience crafts and foods that pertain to various celebrations around the world.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2010