1,2,3, magic by Thomas Phelan Ph.D.

Has anybody read this book? Used the discpline techniques? Can you explain what it is all about? Share your thoughts please.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I havent read that book but most parents that I see counting usually repeat 2 alot lol. I was at a pool party and the mom kept telling her son "THat's 2!!" over and over again. I wondered what happened at 3 but I never saw it unfortunately. In my book a warning is good soemtimes bu tonly 1 warning then consistent action. If they know bett already then no warning is needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• love it it works well if u use it right and u have to stay on top of them until they get it check it out
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I have read it and it works well in some aspects. We use the basic idea of that book but also mixed in some of the 'Making your Kids Mind Without Loosing Yours'

As the first poster noted you have to be willing to do it right for it to really work. You can't be afraid of hesitate to give that 3. My daughter does well on the 1-2-3 while my son has a harder time and does better with rewards and charts.

I am a big fan of reading several books and taking what you like out of each one and tossing out what you don't making your own individual parenting 'plan' No one book (IMO) is going to work for every child.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I've seen the book around but it sounded like it was a different approach then what i am trying to use with my kids. But i think it has good reviews?
    I liked "How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk"
    And depending on how old your kids are Happiest Baby or Happiest Toddler on the block are good books too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree that it's best to use what works. I have never read 1, 2, 3 but i do use that method.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010