Baby Emergency Preparedness

What are the things you wish you had known about or gotten ahead of time to prevent injuries and 2 am runs to the drug store? I'm thinking of things like outlet covers, toilet latches, infant tylenol, etc., etc. Thanks!!

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cabinet locks that an adult can open fairly easy but not the little ones.Door knob guards they are a must in my home, they keep my 21 month old out of trouble & food he isn't sapposed to eat. sharp corner or wall guards, and our stair gates a must as well! We have one at the top of our stairs & one at the bottom.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We got a baby safety kit from Target that was just a glorified first aid kit. Toilet latches I always found to be a pain. We just kept the bathroom door closed and by the time they could open it they knew better than to play in the toilet.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I don't think outlet covers require a 2a trip anywhere. Infant tylenol, saline drops for stuffed noses, and a nasal aspirator (they give you one at the hospital). I
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• clarification: the saftey gadgets are not the things i was anticipating anyone running out for at 2 am - those would be the drugstore items like thermometer, aspirator, etc.

good point on the toilet latch!!

please keep the responses coming! I want to make sure i haven't forgotten anything important that is truly useful and not just something they sell for peace of mind and nothing else. also, i just feel like there are things no one thinks about until they need them.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Either a baby gate to keep them out of the kitchen or a latch for the fridge...not really a big injury one but it saves you from coming in to find your cold food getting very warm. I like to keep tylonol and ib proffin because for the bad fevers it works better to alternate them. Burn cream because no matter how diligent you are about watching them they will eventually find a way to burn themselves.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Good thermometor, humidifier.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• humidifier definitely.
    tylenol, colic calm, gas drops, thermometer, aspirator, diaper rash cream, vapor bath
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 3:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• pedialite is another big one also orajel and teething tablets
    reava

Answer by reava at 10:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• baby tylenol. melting benydryl. a coolmist humidifyer, ear thermometer, pedialite. oragel or hylands teething tablets. Mylecon gas relief drops, a waterproof pad in between the crib sheets...chocolate candy for me when i am hysterical at 3 am
    livetolaughlove

Answer by livetolaughlove at 11:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• pedialyte and EXTRA thermometers. Seriously, we've had 5 or 6 in the lifetime so far of our 20mo old because when she's sick I ude it and then it gets lost.
    gingerwife

Answer by gingerwife at 11:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2010