DD does NOT like my MIL!

DD is 6mos old and she is just the happiest baby ever. She never cries unless she's fighting sleep. She goes to just about anyone and just smiles and coos and loves it. But everytime my MIL holds her she SCREAMS! When my MIL watches her for us she screams the whole time. I don't understand it. I know she's not doing anything to hurt her or anything. My mom came to visit a few weeks ago and took dd for an entire day and said she never cried once, and dd hadn't seen for her almost a month. I know it breaks my MIL's heart that she cries like that for her. I just wish I Knew why she did it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• well until you know why she sreams I guess mil cant baby sit.
    bummer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Babies know who they like and who they don't. You can't force them to like someone. My DD did this with her granny-inlaw. After about a year, she finally warmed up to her. Just give it time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• maybe she will grow out of it? hopefully! i know when my youngest was born, my son used to hold him and he'd cry and cry. no one knew why but i dont think that she totally hates MIL. she just needs to grow out of it. try having MIL hold her several different ways?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Wait it out things will change, other wise baby just senses an uncomfortable orra about MIL maybe it's mine...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• This might sound strange, but maybe MIL is wearing a fragrance, deodorant or lotion that baby doesn't like the smell of? Even if it's an unsented lotion, it could have a mild sent she doen't like. She cries cause she doesen't like the smell.

If could even just be the way she holds her. If MIL feels uneasy holding her the baby will also sense that and may cry. It could be the feel of her clothing she doen't like, is there a sweater she wears all the time. Maybe the fabric softener gives her clothes a funny smell the baby doesn't like?

hope these ideas help :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They respond to energy. Obviously your MIL has negative energy or perhaps a smell that is offensive to the baby. Does MIL smoke? Does she eat certain foods that might make her skin smell? It could be many things
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My 3rd child did not like my dad or my mil (especially mil) for almost 2 years. My 34d has sensory issues and it turns out my dad and my mil were 'too loud' and he did not like that. For your mil it could be a lot of different things: is your mil a loud person, is she nervous around the baby -babies sense that and it makes them uneasy and fussy, does your mil smoke or wear any scents (perfume, body lotion, bath soap, laundry products, mouthwash....) maybe she has a "smell" about her that your daughter does not care for. I hope you can figure out what is going on, and that it gets better. Good luck
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• oops-- that is supposed to say "3rd" not 34d-- sorry
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010