pulling skin back on baby boy after circumsicision?

i have a 2wk old boy.we did get him circumsized(spelling) and yesterday at his 2wk check up the pedi. told me and tried to show me how to pull the skin back under the ridge as she called it and told me to put Vaseline on it.my question is how long are u suppose to pull the skin back before u can leave it alone? anyone know?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my boys circ'ed and was told to never put Vaseline on it or even touch it except for cleaning during bath time / diaper changes. Maybe it depends on the type of instrument they used to perform the circ. I suggest calling your pediatrician.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Wow, all my boys have been circ'ed and there was never any skin to pull back. I put vaseline on after every diaper change and within 48 hrs there were pretty much all healed up!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 10:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would ask your Pediatrican about the circumcision details. I was told to use vaseline and a square of guaze so that the healing skin wouldn't become irritated. But , ask your Doctor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• umm my doc said to NEVER pull the skin back, just put vaseline around it and the tip but pulling the skin back is PAINFUL for the baby
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• the pedi said keep the skin back. she wasnt the one that done the circumsisum on him.i have kept vaseline on him for him to heal up that was told to me by the hospital. i thought once he healed up there was nothing else to do. i dont want to hurt him and i find it hard to pull the skin back.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• i had the same problem with my son it is ok and it doesnt hurt him but some boys r just like that after that is what my doc told me just keeping doing what they ask and it will pop out on its own
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Every circ is different. Some Dr's remove more skin than others. If the Dr leaves more skin, then there can be a little bit to "overhang" And if the incision is still healing, then it can adhere to itself causing problems. So yes I have heard of Dr's saying this to mothers. Just until the circ heals.

This is why I avoid circ' it causes just as many problems as people "think" it solves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• At my son's two month checkup, my pedi told me I should still do it once a day so the skin won't stick, so I still do it once every morning just to make sure it's not stuck. I'm hoping it don't have to do it for too much longer. It's one more thing to think about.
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son was born in 2006 and his circumsicion was normal... didn't have to do anything except apply Vaseline for the first few days afterwards.

I run a daycare and 2 of the little boys I watch who were both born in 2009 have a different type of circumsicion. Apparently they don't cut off as much now, so you do need to keep pulling it back and apply Vaseline for a little while. The one boy I watch turned 1 in March and we still have to pull it back unfortunately. I have no idea why they changed the way they did them...doesn't make sense at all considering the circumsicions don't look like they did anything at ALL.
    Mandie2006

Answer by Mandie2006 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son was circ'd and we were told to do this in the hospital after the circumcision until it healed. It is to make sure the skin doesn't heal together with the ridge. At the time, I just did it without really understanding why. I've since met a young man (20 years old) who recently had to have surgery and basically be re-circumcised. The skin had healed back to the ridge and as a young adult he was having problems. Personally, I can't believe it took them THIS long to figure out the problem! I've done a lot of research since then and decided not to circ any future sons.
    Anonymous