HOLY S***!! TWINS!?!?

So I just got home from my 10 week ultrasound and I just found out I'm having twins! OOFTA! (Still taking it in...lol) But the think is I have 2 kids already who were both born premature (35 weeks) so I'm really worried that these 2 will come way too early since twins are usually early anyways. I have an appt next week and I'll ask then but do any of you know of anything they can do to try to prevent premature birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• congrats and just take it easy
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes - I went into labor at 23 weeks and 4 days - was placed on Hospital bed rest, was given a shot of steriods to help develop their lungs, and was taking medicine to stop contractions (terbutaline (isp?). I was able to maintain the pregnancy till week 36 and delivered 2 healthy baby boys.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Awww Congrats!! Take it easy! GL
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Congrats get some rest,write down all the questions you need to know about...so the dr can tell you once you come in =].

twins are so fascinating,well all multiples are =] good luck!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Congrats! just enjoy the moment get lots of rest and talk to your doctor! Whoohoo twins!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Congrats, You may have to be put on bedrest.... but my Dad and his new wife have 2 yr old quadruplets, they were born at 28 weeks and are now healthy happy toddlers, it is quite possible to carry twins full term
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• my twins were born at 36 or 37 (not sure of the conception date) weeks, safely at home with no complications. i did not know about the twins until we were about 6 months along. i read a book written by a dr. that works in a multiples clinic that boasts birthing super multiples (full term and full weight).
    the thought is that multiples often come early because the mom is malnourished.
    i had a 32 week old preemie the pregnancy before my twins, and like you was very concerned about keeping the twins in as long as possible. i was at a disadvantage b/c i found out so late. but i ate and ate and ate some more!!! i listened to my body. i sat or layed down when i had a contraction. at 5 months dh started doing the grocery shopping and carrying the laundry up and down stairs. i had to limit my trips on the stairs too! dh did extra house work too. you can take a calcium magnesium supplement if you start having contractions.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• anyhow,
    congratulations on the twins!
    my advise is to eat well, eat constantly, and keep your stress levels at a minimum!!!
    dh was not supposed to upset me, it gave me contractions when he did : )
    also, do you know why your others came early?
    do you have help with your other two children? you may need it in a few months, and then until your twins are 2-3 months old!
    i am very excited for you---this is an awful lot to take in!
    we just laughed when we found out ourselves!
    things to not be alarmed about: accelerated uterus growth,and an excess of amniotic fluid. these are characteristic of twins. i have also heard that exaggerated pregnancy symptoms...like morning sickness occurs with twins, so i hope that does not happen for you!
    good luck mama! take it easy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They may put you on bedrest. Be sure in the 2nd half of pregnancy you drink plenty of water, stay off your feet as much as possible and avoid nipple stimulation.

I have a friend that had her twins at 31 weeks and they are now happy, healthy 2 year olds.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010