16 oz berries = ?? cups

I was given a recipe for berry cobbler that everyone who has tried it seems to LOVE. Only problem is that is calls for a 16 oz bag of frozen berries. I wish to use the black raspberries that DD and I have spent a couple of the past evenings picking. So....

How many cups is a 16 oz bag of berries?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I bought a 16oz bag of frozen blueberries a few weeks ago...I *think* we got about 3-3.5 cups out of it, not sure exactly. I'd have used plenty, glad it turned out good, it sounds good!
    Anonymous

• 8oz is a cup so 16 oz would be 2 cups.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I don't know OP but was curious so came in to see answer.

midnightmoma, 8oz of liquid is a cup. That does not necessarily convert over to solids. I'd be willing to bet that a cup of water (8oz) weighs more than a cup of berries.

Hopefully someone answers your question because again, I'd like to know too. And can you share the recipe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yeah, I knew it wasn't 8oz of berries = 1 cup. I winged it and put 4 cups in (which was all the berries...LOL)

Recipe:

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp salt
    2/3 cup milk
    16 oz bag berries

Melt butter in 2 qt baking dish. Mix sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and milk in medium bowl and then pour over butter (do not mix). Spoon berries over mixture (do not stir). Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Depends on the berries. How'd it turn out? It sounds great!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• OMG...It was DELICIOUS!!! Would highly recommend this recipe. I used 4 cups and it *may* have been a little too much. Probably 3 cups would have been more fitting to the recipe, but I'm not going to complain...I'll just remember this for when it's blackberry picking season here in a couple of months!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010