Does a child ever stop being a blessing?

Does it stop when they grow up and do things you are not in accordance with?

Asked by older at 10:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I;m with you Older. No matter what my DD will be the biggest blessing in my life. I also agree that if your teen is a drug adict YOU did something wrong in not preventing that. So many people did hardcore drugs around me but I never did because of my mother and her teachings. If my mom did anything right it was teaching me life lessons.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• LMBO.... are you having problems with your teen???

I guess if you look at everything in your life as a lesson then even a car accident could be deemed a blessing in some way.

Just breath deep... this (what every your child is doing to upset you) will come to pass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No anon, don't have teens anymore my kids are full adults and thriving in life, but I often wonder why most consider their kids to be blessings and then they do or act a certain way and boom! they are no longer considered as such.

Answer by older at 10:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• This can only be answered on a personal level, IMO. To me the way I was raised wasnt that great so its going to impact the way I accept my children. Im going to be more open and acknowleging.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• There might be things they did that would make them not be a blessing. How can you say that a drug addicted teen is a blessing, or a teen turned into a prostitute is a blessing. they are not.

But being loved and being a blessing are two different things.

I have always told my children that there is nothing they can do in this world that would make me NOT love them, but I can be dissapointed in their actions.

A parent who does not convey disappointment in their childs wrong actions is allowing them to do whatever they please, and that is not parenting.

My MIL does that, lets her kids do whatever and never tells them that something they are doing is wrong. If a parent does not tell them, how are they suppose to know its wrong? That is the parents job, to guide the child onto the right path and hope for the best!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• anon, How can you say that a drug addicted teen is a blessing, or a teen turned into a prostitute is a blessing. they are not.

It is your job as a parent to prevent this from happening with all you got, it doesn't make them less than a blessing but it certainly makes one less of a parent for allowing this to happen and not do a thing.

Answer by older at 10:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You know as well as I do that you can be the BEST parent in the world and not be able to stop some behavior. Especially when your child is over the age of 18 and you have no legal standing.

And yes, it does make them not a blessing, when a child does nothing but the WRONG thing despite what you have tried your best to teach them, it can be a nightmare!

So you believe you can always stop a teen, especially an older one, from making horrible decisions, thats a bit naive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• So you believe you can always stop a teen, especially an older one, from making horrible decisions, thats a bit naive.

A teen, you still have some control over or at least a legal standing to take control, an older one needs tough love. Yes an adult child doing everything wrong can be a nightmare, but somewhere along the line you enabled or did your part from preventing.

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Do the 10 minutes spent cleaning up explosive diapers count?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yes np!!!!! it does! lol!

Answer by older at 11:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010