Can you start pumping your milk before the baby is born and be able to breastfeed and have good milk production after baby is born?

I have 2 kids and one on the way.I breastfed both of them for a short period of time due to many complications.This is my last child and I was wondering if I could start trying to pump now if its good for me and the baby.Also if I will still be able to be producing more of a milk flow when the baby is born and just freeze the milk i pump for now.Has anyone ever done this or tried?

krazymomma427

Asked by krazymomma427 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• NO! Your baby needs the colostrum that comes before the milk!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• NO. Pumping now can put you into labor. The same hormone responsible for contractions is the same one that stimulates milk production as well. Really not worth the risk. Adding lentils to your diet now will help increase milk supply later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The other two posters are right, and I wouldnt want to anyways...nice to relax before the whole breast feeding madness starts! LOL

I breastfed two kids to almost 1 year old and third breastfeeder baby is on the way :) :) :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all your answers.I didnt realize when I posted it about the uterus contracting while breastfeeding and now know that it would be very dangerous for me and baby.I apreciate all your help.Thanks to all!!!
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, the uterus contracts with nipple stimulation, but many many women breastfeed throughout a pregnancy. I did. I weaned my first child just 6 weeks before delivering my 2nd. I never had preterm labor as a result and my son did just fine getting full milk instead of colostrum. I know it's safe to BF while pregnant unless you are a high risk pregnancy. But, I don't know about pumping. That would be a question for your OB and LC. Also, were you BFing recently or has it been a while? If it's been a while then pumping to make milk come in while pregnant isn't a good idea.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. They can answer ALL your questions.
    Anonymous