Let me get this straight....

If you support the FDA's decision to uphold the blood-donation ban against gay men, you are a bigot? Nevermind that there are numerous stats to back up your decision. You're supporting something that denies gays the right to do something (with good reason) ~~ thus making you a bigot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Fine, then I guess I am a bigot. I have already accepted that I must also be racist because I dislike Obama's policies and I support the Arizona immigration law. LOL, whatever you loons say....it won't change my OPINION.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• How would the FDA know if they are gay? I havent heard much about this..is it because of HIV?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, ria. Because they are at a much higher risk for HIV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I do not support this and yes I agree!

Answer by older at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• do they not test the blood? I dont have enough info. to give a decision but if the gay man wants to do something good but it could potentially harms someone else then they shouldnt do it.

Ex. Man wants to do a street race for charity (good) but their is a 50/50 chance of a car leaving the race track and killing a bystander then they shouldnt do the race cause risk is too high. How many gay men have HIV? Can they test the blood..ALL the blood? Im assuming they considered many factors before putting a ban on gay men.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They are not a much higher risk. Studies show that 50 % are gay. That is HALF!!! Sorry but the only reason that was done is because gays were mostly in the closet then and now they are not and live healthy life styles. They say it is because of having anal sex but I know a lot of women who like anal sex and they can give blood. I know many straight people who are at a very high risk for AIDs, but then I know gay people who have been in commited relationships with people they know and they get tested regularly because of the higher risk due to anal sex. At the start of mine and my SO's relationship I got tested and then again every 3 months until we had been together long enough for me to trust him fully. I know many people gay and straight that do the same thing. You can never tell if someone has strayed unless you really know them so for all some girl knows her BF is bi and has had sex with a man recently. SO you never know!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• they test all blood for HIV anyway so they should only be asking if they have changed sex partners in the last year. There is a window of time between when you contract HIV and when your blood will test positive for it. and anybody can have it. Seems silly to me. But no it is not bigotry just stupidity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Studies show that 50 % are gay. That is HALF!!!

That's misleading, delilah. If 50% of all HIV sufferers are gay, but only....8% of the population is gay (that's just a random guess) - what does that say?

And I think to call all supporters of the FDA's decision "bigots" is silly. Sorry we don't agree with you - that doesn't make us bigots.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• 50% of what are gay? Men? Yea right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I read a study that says 50% of people who have AIDs are gay. And 8% of the population is gay is WRONG. 8% of my group of friends is gay lol and I don't have THAT many friends.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2010