What do you use for a diaper when taking your baby to the pool?

I am planning to take my baby girl to the pool for the first time and I am not sure what to put her in. I have cloth diapers... will that work just as well as a Huggies Little Swimmer, swimpants? I don't really want to purchase a babies disposable swimpant if I can get away w/a cloth diaper. The disposable swimpants are kinda pricey.

SimpleeMommy

Asked by SimpleeMommy at 11:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son used a swim diaper swim suit. It was not the disposable kind.

http://www.target.com/Swim-Diapers-Baby/b?ie=UTF8&node=1266723011 Like this.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• lil swimmers.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You need to use the swim diapers in the pool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Some public pools make you use a swim diaper,, the plastic pants won't keep the water out of the cloth one, and you could end up with a mess,,,, google swim diapers on line,, they have a cupon,, plus you can use that pack all summer!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think a cloth diaper would be too heavy and make the child uncomfortable and they may end up not liking the experience.

I would buy the pool diapers and a plastic cover.  Dont use JUST the pool diapers because it really doesnt hold much in and I would hate to have you embarrassed at the pool by a leak.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• most places require you to use the swim diapers ( i think that there may be a reusable one) and rubber pants. the idea behind the little swimmers is that they will contain the contents but not swell with the pool water a regular cloth diaper will allow pool water in and out and I know that my kids when they were little for some unknown reason would always go #2 when in the pool and well if it wasnt contained talk about yuck for all around. the rubber pants with tight leg and belly provide an additonal line of protection.

good luck
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 11:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We use cloth, and I just use cloth in the water. The covers are just as effective at keeping the water from leaking in as they are at keeping the pee from leaking out. Never been a problem. The municipal pools around here all allow cloth diapers. My best friend also cloth diapers, and she uses just a cover with no liner for swimming with her baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thanks guys for your help!

I think I may look into the Bambino Mio Swim Nappy from Target. I can definitely get many uses out of it! - Thanks BraydenlsMySon :)

As for cloth diaper use, I'll have to give it a try in a baby pool before going to a public pool....
    SimpleeMommy

Answer by SimpleeMommy at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The public pool we went to required a swim diaper AND plastic pants on top of that.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We used the cloth swim diaper from Target and then put trunks on top of that. I only needed one because it was easy enough to rinse out in the sink (obviously not if he'd pooped in it but he never did) or throw in the laundry and it dried very quickly. They're with the infant and toddler swimsuits.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2010